Saturday 12 September 2015

Play: Much Ado About Nothing

In between trips to Amsterdam to see U2, I had two free nights - Thursday and Friday. But, you know, I'm spoiled flying between the UK and Ireland all the time - I hardly have to go through any passport checks. The queue for passports upon re-entering the UK on Thursday - albeit a lot faster if you had an EU passport - was an eye-opener, and exhausting. I definitely didn't feel like going out that night!

Last night, however, was a different matter. Well, considering the subject matter, anyway - the Let's Do London - for less! Meetup group was headed to the Globe to see Much Ado About Nothing - which, by the way, is my favourite Shakespearian play! Well, they were sold out - but tickets were still available on the Globe website, so two of us decided to go, and I booked us seats in the "Gentlemen's Box" - where we could still get in the front row.

I ordered Print at Home tickets - a good thing, as in the event it was a mad dash for me.. left the office later than I intended, and got on arguably the slowest Tube in history. It took forever to leave Earl's Court, and dawdled at several stations along the way. I figured I'd make it on time - just - but my worry was my companion, who arrived even earlier than we'd agreed, who'd never been there before, and who must have wondered whether I'd ever arrive! I did, after nearly giving myself a coronary dashing from the Tube - it's been a while since I had to rush that much. But you know, all's well that ends well! They hadn't closed the gate yet, I had the tickets in hand, and we made it inside and through the entrance just as the usher was thinking of closing the door. The music had started as we made our way to our seats, but it was only the prologue - we didn't miss much.

Well, this was posh! I'd never been in the Middle Gallery before, and it seems you automatically get cushions there, rather than having to hire them; also, the benches come with backs. At least in the Gentlemen's Box! (and probably in the Ladies', too). We kind of had a rear view, but not a big deal - just the odd action was obscured by the nearer of the pillars holding up the stage roof.

This was a terrific production! I can see why it sold out - the comic skills of the actors were superb. My companion was pleasantly surprised at all the audience interaction - and, indeed, there was more of it in this play than many others. Including orange-throwing, for the energetic in the pit. Not even a rain shower could dampen their enthusiasm, and at the end the place went wild! I bet the entire run sold out.. sadly, that was the last night of this run. Hope there's another..

Afterwards, to the Founder's Arms as usual, and we occupied a space at the back. Where we stayed, we talked, we drank, we talked, and they didn't throw us out till midnight! Shame in a way - we'd have stayed longer, those of us that were left - and there a few, this time. But then, Tubes do stop running at about 12.30, and there's no sign of that 24-hour Tube yet.. straight to bed when I got home.

Right! Well, more rushing today to catch another flight to Amsterdam - and my flatmate and her boyfriend hogging the shower at exactly the time I wanted to get ready. So, I couldn't go to the toilet, I couldn't even get my toothbrush. I left at about 10.15, Tube to Victoria (no delays, thankfully!) and the Gatwick Express got me there for 11.15. I had to change terminals - handy they say tell you which terminal, on the boarding pass - but fortunately there's a shuttle between them that only takes two minutes. The gate was due to close at 11.35 - I made it through security by 11.30. And it was a long, long way to the gate.. long before I got there, the departure boards were saying the gate was closed for that flight. Unnerving, but it does just mean you need to get through security by that time. I arrived in time to board without delaying the flight - and wasn't even the last one on.

No free stuff on Easyjet, but very friendly crew. And despite a "one-bag" policy, no-one seemed to object to me carrying my handbag separately. The flight was packed with people off to enjoy themselves for the weekend.. bumpy in parts, but no-one minded. Dear God though, if I thought passport control on Thursday was a nightmare, I'd seen nothing yet! The queues in Schipol today were so long they filled the room! I joined what seemed the shortest - there was an EU fast-track, but only for people with electronic chips on their passports. Which I don't have. So I stood in the queue for a full 20 minutes before it even moved, whatever they were doing. When it did, suddenly I was at the desk within five minutes, and processed in two seconds.

No sign of anywhere to buy a toothbrush (or shampoo - I didn't have a small bottle, or time to look for one). I got a ticket for the train to town, knew what I was about this time, and made my way quickly to the platform, where a train to Centraal was leaving within five minutes. And so it happened, even with the passport nightmare, that I was in town within an hour of my flight landing. I got another travel pass - only 48-hour this time (€12), I realised that'd do - and had an idea what direction to take for my hotel. This time, I let Expedia choose me a hotel, and have ended up in the "Fine Seasons", on Prins Hendrikkade. It's about a 10-minute walk from Centraal - just follow the right street, and you see it on the right. And on the way, joy of joys, I saw a convenience store that had shampoo. And toothbrushes. And I do intend to have a much-needed shower before I head out.. I'll grab my first meal of the day in a fast food place in Centraal, probably.

My third U2 concert of the year tonight - I'm on the North side of the venue again, but really close this time - Row 2 of the lower level! Tomorrow night, I'm only two seats away from that. I fly back on Monday, my U2-ing done.. for this month. ;-) And I daresay, again, I'll be too tired to venture out that night.

On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I have Meetups.. For Tuesday, I discovered there's a Hammersmith and Fulham Amnesty group, who that night have a talk entitled Undercover - the True Story of Britain's Secret Police. And I'm going. On Wednesday, I'm (nominally) joining the London European Club, who are off to see John Doyle, at the Irish Centre. And on Thursday, I'm (nominally) back with the Free London Events and Talks group, who are off to the Scoop, where they show free films in September. Weather-dependant. That day, it's Selma, which I haven't seen. And then it's back to Ireland yet again - I go every two weeks.. on Monday 21, I'm finally back with the Crick Crack Club, in the Soho Theatre, for The Fate We Bring Ourselves - a retelling of Greek legends. The following day, I'm - again (nominally) - with Free London Events and Talks, for another free film at the Scoop - this time, it's Still Alice.

No comments:

Post a Comment