Wednesday 2 September 2015

Film: The Look of Silence

D'you know, it's a relief, finally to get The Look of Silence seen? It's been highest rated on my film list for so long now.. Last time it was showing, it wasn't at a time I could manage, but this week the BFI was showing it, and I booked because it was selling out.

Having chosen the early show, I went straight from the office. Exiting at Embankment Station, I made way for a lady in a wheelchair, who took the wide gate.. she wasn't as lucky at the riverside exit, where there are a few steps, but her companions reassured those who wanted to help that she would walk down them. It was taking her forever to get out of her chair though - pity those who need extra help, there are few facilities for them.

Another rainbow as I crossed the bridge - the second rainbow in as many days. An advantage of wet weather! Rarely, I wasn't in much of a hurry as I approached the BFI - I was a little early. Which was as well, considering the riverfront entrance was closed for a private function, and I had to go round the side. And then, having collected my ticket, I completely forgot where the Studio was.. in my defence, it's been a while since I was at the BFI at all, and I've only been to the Studio once before. So a bit of running around was in order - but I made it in time (it's right across from the box office), and was shown to my seat. And not the last to arrive either!

My God, but I was uncomfortable. I don't know what the problem was, but my bum was numb by the end, despite the seat being plushly upholstered. And the guy in front of me was tall enough to make the reading of subtitles very awkward - the person beside me was straining as well, and a little old lady in the row in front moved into the front row to make it easier for herself - although the screening was pretty sold out, not everyone showed. When the fellow in front of me decided to scooch down in his seat, life became much easier for me..

This is a documentary about an optometrist whose brother was butchered in the Indonesian massacre in 1965, before he was born. And which I'd never heard of, before this - and its companion piece, The Act of Killing, which I didn't think I'd fancy and didn't go to see. Having seen The Look of Silence, I'm rather glad I didn't..

So, this rather brave individual travels around the country interviewing people involved in his brother's death. I wondered how he could be so brave - the same people are still in power, and surely he was putting himself in danger! Illuminating was the interview with the district army commander, where he wouldn't tell him where his family was from. Even more illuminating were the credits at the end - it's worth watching them, just to see all the roles marked as "ANONYMOUS", because the Indonesians involved in the film didn't want to give their names.

I said I was glad I didn't see the other film. Primarily, this was because of the interviews with the killers in this film - I think I've seen quite enough of them, thanks! Interview after interview, and they showed no remorse. They were following orders. The opposition were branded "communists" and were guilty of atrocities. (A prologue explains that the designation of "communist" was applied to any opponents of the military government.) There's a chilling video, clips of which are played throughout the film, where two who performed these killings describe, with great glee, the fear of their captives, and how they reacted when being killed.

The most productive interviews are those where family members are present, who had no idea of the atrocities their relatives were part of, and whose shocked looks and apologies go some way to restoring a sense of decency. A disturbing film - particularly as the people who perpetrated this are still in power, and the government anti-communist line is still being taught in schools, alongside how the communists deserved what they got.

A detour to Tesco's to get dinner, and so home - almost in time to escape a heavy shower.
Tomorrow, I got a cheap ticket to a classical concert at Cadogan Hall - nice and close. Then it's back to Ireland at the weekend..

No comments:

Post a Comment