Saturday 12 September 2015

Concert: U2, Ziggo Dome (#3)

My, but that was a welcome shower! I eventually made my way to Centraal Station.. but nowhere could I find the fast food place I'd glimpsed out of the corner of my eye when I arrived! So it was another hungry concert for me.. thank goodness for the stroopwaffel I got from a vending machine in Sloterdijk Station, and hadn't eaten yet. It proved delicious as I was queueing to get into the Ziggo Dome.

A word about those trucks parked outside - I forgot to mention, but Bono confirmed during the last concert that there are actually 30 of them. So that answers that! which leaves the question of how many tour buses there are.. as I say, I counted seven..

Unfortunately, with just 15 minutes to go to (official) start time, I figured I'd be cutting it fine, queueing for merchandise. Which is a shame, as I wanted a lighter coloured t-shirt, it being supposed to be sunny and warm tomorrow. Oh, and I already lost my hat, and want another. Well, I'll make a special effort to get there early tomorrow and queue.

I made my way to my section. When the usher saw my row, she seemed a bit flustered in trying to explain how to get there. I gathered that I was to go down the side aisle and across the front row. When I got there, I discovered that this was Row 3.. it turns out that the front of the lower tier is staggered at the ends, and there was no Row 2 in this section - but I had to cross this section to get to Row 2, which formed the front row of the next section. So I was actually in the front row! and delighted with my proximity to the stage..


It's also handy to be at the front, and have a rail to lean on. So, this was the view from my seat, looking across the dome. You can see the enormous vidi-wall, suspended above the catwalk that runs along the middle of the floor, the length of the room. And you might notice a "gap" in the crowd at the far end of the floor - that's where Bono enters. The "i" stage is just visible to the right.

The crowd tonight was electric - best on the tour so far! Cheering, clapping before anything happened, waving at each other across the dome... a guy in the row behind me was explaining to the person sitting beside him where Bono would come in - was probably at one (or both) of the two previous concerts here this week.

Third night in Amsterdam, third night for me this year.. and third unique setlist:

1. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
2. Electric Co.
3. Vertigo
4. I Will Follow
5. Iris (Hold Me Close)
6. Cedarwood Road
7. Song for Someone
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. Raised By Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
10. Until The End Of The World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet) / Words(snippet)

iNTERMISSION

11. Invisible
12. Even Better Than The Real Thing
13. Mysterious Ways / Burning Down the House (snippet)
14. Elevation
15. Every Breaking Wave
16. October
17. Bullet the Blue Sky / 19 (snippet)
18. Zooropa
19. Where The Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
20. Pride (In the Name of Love)
21. With or Without You

22. City of Blinding Lights
23. Beautiful Day
24. Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / People Have the Power (snippet)

I really did feel closer to the stage tonight - and was close enough to see Bono's autocue for the first time. Well, I'm not surprised he has one, the amount he has to say.. I'm loving the way they're cycling through a variety of old songs for song #2.. it's always a lovely surprise to hear a new one. The Fly is a staple now for the iNTERMISSION, and the girl pulled up for Mysterious Ways certainly seemed to enjoy herself, bouncing her way through the number. And afterwards. Unfortunately, Meerkat didn't oblige tonight, though.

Tonight it was that beautiful acoustic version of Every Breaking Wave that brought tears to my eyes. Tonight it was dedicated to Edge's daughter Hollie, who apparently got married recently! She and her husband were in the audience. And that song slips into the equally haunting October, before we change completely to the spitting fury of Bullet the Blue Sky, delivered through a megaphone.

I always look forward to these concerts - this band is just so damn good! And I try to savour each one - after tomorrow, I shan't see them again till next month. The breaks between concerts are generally much longer than that, of course... It occurred to me (too late) on the way back that the merchandising stand might still have been open, and less busy, after the concert - ah well, I'll try tomorrow!

So! I fly back on Monday, and try to get back to normal, but probably won't go out that night.
On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I have Meetups.. For Tuesday, I discovered there's a Hammersmith and Fulham Amnesty group, who that night have a talk entitled Undercover - the True Story of Britain's Secret Police. And I'm going. On Wednesday, I'm (nominally) joining the London European Club, who are off to see John Doyle, at the Irish Centre. And on Thursday, I'm (nominally) back with the Free London Events and Talks group, who are off to the Scoop, where they show free films in September. Weather-dependant. That day, it's Selma, which I haven't seen. And then it's back to Ireland yet again - I go every two weeks.. on Monday 21, I'm finally back with the Crick Crack Club, in the Soho Theatre, for The Fate We Bring Ourselves - a retelling of Greek legends. The following day, I'm - again (nominally) - with Free London Events and Talks, for another free film at the Scoop - this time, it's Still Alice.

No comments:

Post a Comment