Sunday 16 August 2015

Walk: 800th Year of Magna Carta, Pret a Manger, & Soho House

It's been quite a day of Meetups! There were a couple of walks on, but I decided to go with Walk About London's 800th Year of Magna Carta - I know the guide is a good one. And, like yesterday, it turned out to be a gorgeous day! So I dragged myself out of bed - unusually early for me, on a Sunday - and got myself into town. Despite the indication board at West Brompton telling me that the next train was headed my way, sure enough, when it came, it wasn't, and I had to change at Earl's Court. Which would have been easier, if not for the elderly couple who couldn't decide whether to get on, and held the doors twice..

After that, it was a straight run through to Blackfriars, where I exited the station to find the guide standing right in front of the entrance, a circle of people around him. We waited until 5 past for stragglers, then the tour began. He promised to finish around 1, but really this free tour lasted until about 1.30, as he led us up steps and down passageways, through the City. I still haven't gotten around to getting a new camera charger, but did shoot a few photos with my phone until the battery died.

We started with Temple, a district I love. This secluded part of town is home to the legal fraternity, and is a real haven amidst the hustle and bustle. We stopped periodically for him to talk to us, and after the first time, in the blazing sunshine (where it was quite hot), we stopped in the shade. Where, interestingly, it could be quite cold, especially when the breeze blew. Really, the day didn't know what it was doing.

It's tricky to talk about Magna Carta - you either say too much or too little. On the one hand, it's a charter of rights signed by King John, which he was forced into, and which formed the basis for later declarations of human rights. Story told. On the other hand, there's a real soap opera behind the king's life, which you can use to embellish the story - and it was interesting to see our guide pick his way through a maze of facts, focussing on the gossip-worthy bits.

We passed by Temple Church, where there's an exhibition on Magna Carta, but it wasn't open, so he just talked to us outside. Sometime after, as I was taking a picture with my phone, I noticed I had a new email - and, on checking it, discovered that it was the organiser of Film Nite, offering me a free ticket this evening to a documentary on Orson Welles! If he could source one. I thought about it, and replied in the affirmative, asking him to let me know if he got one.

Well, the walk wound on, through Magpie Alley, decorated with tiles depicting the development of printing in England, and past a highly decorated Youth Hostel that used to be the school for choirboys of St. Paul's. Wouldn't you know it, it was just as we reached St. Paul's that my battery died, and that was it for photos for today. We had a bit of time in St. Paul's churchyard, then wound our way to the Guildhall (with a slight detour to see some Roman ruins). Our tour finished in the museum under the Guildhall, where we saw a copy of Magna Carta, as well as a view of London's only Roman amphitheatre. This museum is free, and somewhere I'd like to come back to - there was more to be seen.

Afterwards, we searched for somewhere to have something to eat and drink and a chat, but this being the City on a Sunday, that wasn't easy. We fancied a pub, but the first was closed and the second didn't really have room. Instead, we ended up in the Pret a Manger at Cannon Street Station, where the five of us that remained spent a deal of time sitting, chatting, and reviving ourselves. I had an excellent brownie. Someone else had a cucumber seltzer that she wasn't keen on - altogether too much cucumber, it seems. The guide was never entirely off duty; upon hearing that the adjoining street concealed one of London's subterranean rivers, the American who'd lasted that long exclaimed, "Is there any part of London that's not cool?!" Quite. Another excellent tour by this guide - I'd love to go on more, he just has to schedule them at times and on days I can manage!

Well, with my battery dead, my only way of finding out whether I had a ticket for this film was to go home, which I did. Put my phone on to charge and booted up my laptop, to discover yes! he'd got me a ticket, and could I be at Soho House's new address by 4.30? Eh, yes, roughly.. I'd had a busy day already and it was now nearly four! I did my best, cramming myself onto a packed Piccadilly Line, and made it just 10 minutes late.

I knew the address, and had also looked it up on Streetview - the organiser had said to ring the bell and say I was his guest. Sure enough, I rang, was immediately buzzed in, and told the smiling lady on reception whose guest I was - whereupon she directed me downstairs to the basement cinema, and to turn right. It's newly refurbished, and noticeably less scruffy than the old place. I joined my fellow group members in a plush sitting room, where the widescreen tv was showing the football. I'd been considering going to the bar to order a drink, but didn't have to, because a waiter came around after a while. Just as well I hadn't - you have to be a member to buy anything, of course! Our organiser turned out to have a membership card, so the bill for two of us went to him, and he graciously paid it.

The cinema itself was though another door, and after having a look, I remarked to him on its similarity to the Electric Cinema - he explained that they were run by the same company. Ah, the luxury - plush armchair seats, with a side table (you can take in your drink), and an ottoman you can put your feet on. All cinema should, indeed, be like this!

The documentary - whose name I missed - turned out to be excellent. You think you know someone, but this highlighted many aspects of his life I hadn't been aware of. It was utterly fascinating. Also interesting was the roll call of so many of his films whose names I recognised - A Touch of Evil, The Magnificent Ambersons, and many others - which are currently showing in London: obviously to celebrate the centenary of his birth. This is a man it's worth getting to know more about.

On our way back, he advised us to pop our heads round the door of the Criterion restaurant, just to see the décor. Just a tad expensive, but wow! the décor is indeed worth a look - you'd never guess, from the street. A cover story about being supposed to meet someone there got us inside, and after confusing the waiter, we agreed to wait for our companion outside. The companion who'd already gone home, of course.

Tomorrow, we're going to a play - Frank Sent Me - that his old drama teacher wrote, and which is performing at the King's Head. On Tuesday, I'm headed to a play set in Sheffield during the Blitz. Operation Crucible is showing in the Finborough, nice and close to me. They bumped the time to half an hour earlier, but were good enough to both email and phone me, just to make sure I knew, and to let me know to contact them if I needed to cancel. On Wednesday, I'm with Let's Do London - for less! yet again, when they're off to the Globe to see As You Like It. Next Thursday, I'm off to the Spiegeltent - on my own - to see House of Burlesque. Time Out offer. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and we're headed to the Irish Youth Wind Ensemble, at the University Concert Hall.

The following Monday, I'm finally going to see Memphis: the Musical, at the Shaftesbury Theatre. And the next two days, I'm headed to the Guildford office - first for a meeting, then the Sports Day. Coincides nicely with the next Tube strikes, assuming the current talks don't help.. that Thursday, I've bitten the bullet and booked a ticket to see the comedian Iliza Schlesinger at the Soho Theatre - she was sold out for Monday, so I said maybe I'd better. And that Friday, I'm headed to the Boat Show. Those should both be interesting to get to and from, if the strikes go ahead!

The following Saturday, I'm back with the London Dramatic Arts group, for Oresteia at Trafalgar Studios - its West End transfer. On the Sunday, I'm headed to the Scoop, for their double bill of classical plays. Technically, I'm accompanying the Free London Events and Talks group, but with 100 of us going, I doubt I'll be much bothered with actually meeting anyone. Unless I see someone I know.

That Monday, I'm finishing off the month by going to the Proms, and on the 1st September I'm going to What's It All About? Bacharach, at the Menier Chocolate Factory. And then I'm planning on collapsing with exhaustion..

No comments:

Post a Comment