Monday 17 August 2015

Play: Frank Sent Me

The organiser of Film Nite advertised a couple of plays - directed (not written) by his drama teacher, and showing in the King's Head. I couldn't make the first one on the night he was going, but trotted along tonight to see Frank Sent Me, a gay gangster comedy.

It's ages since I've been up that way - first thing to remember is that there's more than one King's Head in London! (Islington is the one you want, when looking for directions.) I did realise in time, and decided to leave straight from the office - it'd be too much of a rush to go home first. I stayed quite late at the office, as it happens - but even at that, the Overground would have been a nightmare, so I took the Tube - which, by that time (around 6.30) had quietened down a bit.

Exiting the station and turning right, I noticed a lady consulting directions. Wondered whether she was headed to the same place I was - indeed, she walked in the same direction as me for most of my trip. But she wasn't. So just as well I didn't freak her out by asking. Our group were meeting beforehand at the Slug & Lettuce, down the road from the King's Head. You order downstairs, but seating - and larger tables - are available upstairs, and there we sat.. pleasant décor, good food, a screen and projector for those sporting occasions. I only had breaded mushrooms - time was tight and I didn't want to rush - but I can recommend them.

When it was about that time, we headed to the King's Head pub and made our way to the back, where they had a list of the names of those who'd booked. Through to the theatre, which is a room at the back. We'd all booked separately, so were sat separately; I was at the end of a row, which was handy for leaving my things, as was the fact that I had a spare seat beside me; there weren't many of those. Seating is on upholstered benches.

Interestingly, we'd all got email warnings beforehand about how hot the theatre could get. I don't know what's happened to it, because I've been to things here before and never experienced this kind of heat - it was sweltering! something not reflected in the outside temperature. Even the bar itself was cooler. Three oscillating fans attached to the ceiling and one static fan on the floor did nothing to help, and I'm afraid it really detracted from my enjoyment of the play. People who'd been to the previous production said that had been even hotter.. glad now that I didn't go!

This was a shame, because the play was really good. A very simple piece, it focuses on two men - one a gangster type, the other probably his lover, although it's never made explicit. They're preparing for the arrival of a third character - the person that "Frank" sent. They're not looking forward to his arrival, for reasons that become clear. And when the third fellow arrives, the tension of the first two characters is nicely juxtaposed with the comedy he brings to the situation; obviously out of his depth, this guy whose arrival they've dreaded ends up depending on them to look after him!

Excellently cast, excellently directed. I do love a simple idea, and found this very enjoyable to watch (well, apart from the heat..) Runs until Saturday. I don't know where I got the impression that it lasted for 80 minutes - this was about 60 (no interval, of course). And my, but I was glad to get outta there! as fast as the slow-moving ladies chatting together in front of me would allow. Having already donated when I booked, I ignored their collection bucket on the way out. Oh, the relief to be outside in the cool.. we stood and chatted for quite a while, waiting for the director to make an appearance. A couple of the actors happened by, too - that's the great thing about informal venues, I think it's so interesting to have the cast mingle with the public.

I took the Overground home - it's that bit cheaper, and the timing worked out perfectly. Tomorrow, I'm headed to a play set in Sheffield during the Blitz. Operation Crucible is showing in the Finborough, nice and close to me. Must remember their earlier start time. On Wednesday, I'm with the Let's Do London - for less! Meetup group yet again, when they're off to the Globe to see As You Like It. On Thursday, I'm off to the Spiegeltent to see House of Burlesque. Time Out offer. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and we're headed to the Irish Youth Wind Ensemble, at the University Concert Hall.

The following Monday, I'm finally going to see Memphis: the Musical, at the Shaftesbury Theatre. And the next two days, I'm headed to the Guildford office - first for a meeting, then the Sports Day. Coincides nicely with the next Tube strikes, assuming the current talks don't help.. that Thursday, I've booked a ticket to see the comedian Iliza Schlesinger at the Soho Theatre - she was sold out for Monday, so I said maybe I'd better. And that Friday, I'm headed to the Boat Show. Those should both be interesting to get to and from, if the strikes go ahead!

The following Saturday, I'm back with the London Dramatic Arts group, for Oresteia at Trafalgar Studios - its West End transfer. On the Sunday, I'm headed to the Scoop, for their double bill of classical plays. Technically, I'm accompanying the Free London Events and Talks group, but with 100 of us going, I doubt I'll be much bothered with actually meeting anyone. Unless I see someone I know.

I'm finishing off the month by going to the Proms, and on the 1st September I'm going to What's It All About? Bacharach, at the Menier Chocolate Factory. Which is quite enough to be doing with for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment