Thursday 20 August 2015

Play: As You Like It

Back with Let's Do London - for less! last night, at the Globe, for As You Like It. Working late at the office is becoming a disturbingly regular occurrence for me.. went straight from there again. Mind you, I was glad not to have to walk home first, in the lashing rain.

The closest station to the office is actually West Kensington, and since I was taking the District Line, that's where I headed. It's ages since I've been there, and I'd forgotten that there's no train indicator on the platform - there's a screen before you go down the stairs, instead, which I didn't think to check. So it was a long and impatient wait for the train - sure enough, as I'd suspected it would, the train arrived just as I pulled out my phone to see whether I could get internet reception to check where it was - the station is something of a blackspot for internet on my phone. Street outside - no problem. Station - iffy.

Crowded train - I got a seat at Victoria, where there's always a big interchange of passengers. Arrived at the Globe to find our fearless leader, in his stylish and somewhat sodden cap, sitting forlornly on his own under a tree. I'm guessing people just didn't want to stand around and chat in that weather. Never mind, he was soon busy with three of us that arrived at the same time, and whom he gave tickets together.

Our seats were in the same section as last time - a few rows back - and the place gradually filled completely; this is a popular production:


As someone later remarked, those of us sitting under cover didn't realise until afterwards just how heavily it was raining - although we could see the side ramps of the stage getting wetter and wetter, and at the heaviest points, hear the rain pattering off the rain smocks people were wearing. You can rent these - umbrellas aren't allowed, so as not to block others' view.

I've got to say, this was a terrific production! Starring Michelle Terry, it uses all the Globe productions' characteristic song, dance, audience interaction and general tomfoolery. One of Shakespeare's more complicated plot structures is rendered hilarious - Shakespeare was written to be performed, not read, and during the show it frequently occurred to me how dry these words might have seemed on paper. Only quibbles were that, where we were sat, the action was sometimes obscured by a pillar - more often at the beginning: and sometimes the audio was inaudible, particularly most of the jokes offered by Touchstone, the jester. However, we enjoyed it thoroughly - including the person sat by me, whose very first time it was seeing Shakespeare, and who hadn't realised it'd be so funny! Well, as I said, it was written for this venue - and it was written to please the crowd..

Highly recommended. Runs on selected dates until the 5th - availability on the website for the 3rd, 4th & 5th only - limited on the 5th. Booking necessary, as ever with the Globe. But it's worth it.

Afterwards, we congregated under the shelter of that tree again, where our fearlessly soggy-hatted leader (who'd been standing in the pit, in the rain) suggested I take those that were already there to our regular haunt, the Founders' Arms, while he waited for the rest. I had just ordered a glass of chardonnay, when this fellow pops up beside me, checks that I'm in the group, and suggests we get a bottle instead! and he'll pay for it. Eh - cool! He asked for three glasses - one for me, one for him, one for Antony (the leader).

Looking for somewhere to sit, the very back of the room looked promising, given that there were a number of us. So we sat there, and waited for Antony to arrive. And when he did, he didn't see us.. and we with a large glass (1/3 of the bottle, carefully measured) poured for him! He sat somewhere, then decided it wasn't spacious enough and sat closer to us. And after some frantic waving on our part, he came up and joined us, his followers following close behind. Naw, I didn't run off with his group.. honest..we just found a cosy corner, to go with our cosy bottle of wine! B-) Granted, the seating was along the wall, which isn't as nice as having a round table - but there were too many of us all to fit around a single table anyway. And my, but the chat motored on, until we were chucked out by management.

Yep, after midnight by the time I got home again. Really, this group.. so, too late to blog. Tonight, I'm off to the Spiegeltent to see House of Burlesque. Cheap Time Out offer. Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and we're headed to the Irish Youth Wind Ensemble, at the University Concert Hall.

On Monday, I'm finally going to see Memphis: the Musical, at the Shaftesbury Theatre. And the next two days, I'm headed to the Guildford office - first for a meeting, then the Sports Day. Coincides nicely with the next Tube strikes, assuming the current talks don't help.. despite the article in yesterday's Evening Standard, they don't actually start till Tuesday. Next Thursday, I've booked a ticket to see the comedian Iliza Schlesinger at the Soho Theatre - she was sold out for Monday, so I said maybe I'd better. And that Friday, I'm headed to the Boat Show. Those should both be interesting to get to and from, if the strikes go ahead!

The following Saturday, I'm back with the London Dramatic Arts group, for Oresteia at Trafalgar Studios - its West End transfer. (I see it's at the Globe as well - bummer, that'd have been good.) On the Sunday, I'm headed to the Scoop, for their double bill of classical plays. Technically, I'm accompanying the Free London Events and Talks group, but with 100 of us going, I doubt I'll be much bothered with actually meeting anyone. Unless I see someone I know.

I'm finishing off the month by going to the Proms, and on the 1st September I'm going to What's It All About? Bacharach, at the Menier Chocolate Factory. And yes, there is more planned..

No comments:

Post a Comment