Monday 24 August 2015

Memphis: the Musical

Amazon Local provided me with the best value for tonight's show, Memphis: the Musical. Mind you, this was in the Shaftesbury Theatre - one of those where the upper levels might be cramped. I got a good deal on a seat in the rear stalls for £22.50.

Working late in the office again, I just made it in time. I was actually really lucky with trains, and had no long waits - although the Piccadilly Line had long delays at stations from Hyde Park Corner on. Google Maps had told me to get off at Covent Garden, turn right on Long Acre, then left past a brown building (as I could see on Streetview). Continue along that road, and the theatre would be on the other side of a crossroads. I was actually there once before, but it's been a while. Still, I found it without trouble - a blessing, in the pouring rain. Even the crossing light was green as I dashed across.

The guy at the box office hurriedly asked my name and got my ticket. As I tried to figure out which was the right door, an usher hurried over to me and pointed me in the right direction. I found my own seat downstairs in the stalls, though - not hard. I almost had time to turn off my phone before the warning about them was broadcast. I had time to get off my coat and was wiping the rain from my glasses when the lights went down. The seat was fine, by the way - comfy, decent legroom, and a good view, the very top of the stage slightly obscured by the overhang, but not a problem with this production - I could see everything. And I wasn't even the last in, BTW.

I've been to so many mediocre West End shows that I'd come to expect it. Well, ladies and gentlemen, believe the hype - this is fantastic! You like r n b? This show is chock full of it, every number a show-stopper. This story of a white guy, down on his luck (Matt Cardle) from Memphis in the 50s, who falls in love, first with the music, then with the singer (Beverley Knight). (Can you believe that white radio stations once upon a time refused to play what they called "race" music?!) He becomes a dj and champions black music, fighting prejudice against both that and his burgeoning relationship with this beautiful and talented black woman.

The performances are out of this world. Really, I wanted to jump out of my seat after every song - I contented myself with cheering and clapping instead, along with everyone else. It felt more like being at a concert than a West End show - and it was no surprise, at the end, when the entire house - and I mean everyone - leapt to their feet in a standing ovation. This is the first time I can remember not seeing anyone still sitting after a West End show - even the lady two rows in front, who looked frail and who had seemed to have trouble walking at the interval, couldn't resist dragging herself to her feet for this. Awesome stuff - definitely one of the best shows in town. I can't recommend this more - booking until at least October next year. Go see - but do shop around for tickets.

For the next two days, I'm headed to the Guildford office - first for a meeting, then the Sports Day. On Thursday, I've booked a ticket to see the comedian Iliza Schlesinger at the Soho Theatre - she was sold out for today, so I said maybe I'd better. And on Friday, I'm headed to the Boat Show. And those pesky Tube strikes have been suspended! so I can relax about my travel arrangements.. for the time being.

On Saturday, I'm back with the London Dramatic Arts group, for Oresteia at Trafalgar Studios - its West End transfer. (I see it's at the Globe as well - bummer, that'd have been good. And now Let's Do London - for less! is headed there in October, to see that self-same show. We'll see how I feel.) On Sunday, I'm headed to the Scoop, for their double bill of classical plays. Technically, I'm accompanying the Free London Events and Talks group, but with 100 of us going, I doubt I'll be much bothered with actually meeting anyone. Unless I see someone I know.

I'm finishing off the month by going to the Proms, and on the 1st September I'm going to What's It All About? Bacharach, at the Menier Chocolate Factory. And then.. more stuff! Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment