Saturday 1 August 2015

Film: Jurassic World

I decided I'd go to the cinema today - and what came top of the list (at last!) but Jurassic World. Delighted at that - I did love Jurassic Park, and do love when a mainstream film climbs to the top of the list (in terms of IMDB ratings). And given that I developed a throat infection over the last couple of days, and spent all last night waking to blow my nose - I was really glad that it was showing at my local cinema, at a convenient time - not too early, not too late - and I could walk. At my own pace.

So I set off, at the tail end of a gloriously sunny afternoon, and strolled down to the cinema. Where I explained to the nice man that I had a Yplan ticket (they have a deal all summer - it's cheaper than the box office) but gee, it doesn't work on my phone, so I have to print it out! So you have a choice - here's the enormous barcode (I have seen it work if they back right up to the wall) or there's a reference code you can type in. He typed.

I chose a seat near-ish the front, with an aisle in front to stretch my legs. And then moved over anyway, so as not to be right in front of people. It was fine. Trailers were of the sci-fi kind, and included one for Pixels, where the aliens attack us by means of videogame characters. As in - oh no! Pacman is coming.. (I love Pacman. :-) ) Adam Sandler is one of the videogame geeks recruited to save the world. A better bet is probably The Martian, where Matt Damon plays an astronaut left for dead after a storm on Mars during which his fellow colonists were evacuated - directed by Ridley Scott, also stars Jessica Chastain. Looks good.

And so to the dinosaurs. Someone remarked - just yesterday, in fact - that he loved Jurassic Park when he was small. And he isn't so small now! NO! It doesn't matter! No matter big or small, no matter the age, I defy you not to jump when something bigger than a T-Rex smashes its clawed foot through the ceiling of where our hapless heroes are huddling. (Brief plot symposis: Jurassic Park has been re-envisioned larger, with ever bigger creatures. And their latest, biggest creation - which turns out to be unexpectedly intelligent - gets out and goes on a killing spree.)

Ah, it's great stuff! 2D or 3D, when these fanged, scaly beasts start chasing the people down, you'll jump. Very interesting conclusion to the drama, also. Reminded me of Godzilla, that other excellent recent monster movie. I loved it - just glad it was still showing.

I shopped in Sainsbury's, not wanting to inflict my sneezing on a restaurant crowd. Anyway, I had a ton of Nectar points, and got my shopping practically for free (it's all the surveys I do for them). Tomorrow, I had it in mind to do a walk.. I still might, but honestly, I'm not sure I'll be up to it. For Monday, I've booked a cheap ticket to a performance of a reimagined Jekyll and Hyde, in St. Martin's College. Assuming I can beat this flu!

No comments:

Post a Comment