Friday 7 August 2015

Concert: Concertante (St. Martin in the Field)

Another trip out last night with the ever-good value Let's Do London - for less! Meetup group. A couple of problems presented themselves: would my cough flare up? and the more definite problem of the Tube strike..

The strike I planned to deal with simply by walking. The concert was in the church of St. Martin in the Fields, just at the side of Trafalgar Square - now, during the last strike, I took a bus to just past there, and it took me an hour and a half. On a crowded, boiling hot Routemaster. So when Google Maps told me that walking would just take an hour and a quarter - I was in! As for the cough, I bought a small bottle of water. I wanted to get mints or Wine Gums as well, to moisten my mouth and throat; there's a Tesco at the end of the road from my office (the start of my walk) so I tried there first - but they really have a woeful selection of these. I figured I'd have better luck further on.

I was in luck - it was a beautiful evening for walking! The first stretch took me down West Cromwell Road, which soon displayed a line of grand columned buildings. Mostly hotels, and mostly with "Cromwell" in the title. Appropriately, but disturbing for an Irish person.. I think I'd have trouble staying in a hotel with "Cromwell" in the name, if a decent alternative were available. Anyhoo, this was a very pleasant walk, and in due course I came across a Waitrose, which had Wine Gums.

It was just after this that I started to have trouble with my feet. I had new Skechers, and they display the typical trait of really comfortable soles and slightly uncomfortable uppers.. sure enough, no problems with the soles of these, but the uppers were chafing uncomfortably against my skin (I wasn't wearing socks). Just as well the chafing started earlier, and I'd brought plasters with me; I spent some time on a bench in South Kensington, ministering to my feet.

Shortly after this, I came into Knightsbridge - which proved a nightmare to walk through. Crowded at the best of times, yesterday was insane, shoppers mingling with confused tourists. It took some time to push through them, and I was glad when the street opened out at Hyde Park Corner, where I crossed Green Park as part of my route.

It was like a bicycle convention. After taking forever to cross the road, I gladly entered the park - which was the loveliest part of the walk, the trees muffling both sight and sound of the surrounding traffic. I'd have taken photos, but was beginning to get tight for time with all the pitstops, sorry. I was particularly taken by a lamppost, right in the middle of the park - very The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe! Indeed, much like in the book, I got lost pretty quickly after passing the lamppost, and as time ticked away, just wanted out of there. I couldn't find the exit I needed, and ended up taking quite a detour, coming out at the wrong side, and frantically searching unfamiliar streets for where I was supposed to be! Well, my sense of direction was intact, and I did find the square - and church - eventually. And it would've been a really lovely walk, but for that..

The organiser was to meet us outside with our tickets, and I just managed to catch him before he went in. He actually had two sets - one for the central aisle, and a cheaper set for the side, one of which I'd bought. We were in good time to find decent seats, and I must say, I don't really see the advantage of paying extra for the central aisle here. Well, unless you're early enough to get one of the really good seats. There were people in the central section who, I'm sure, had no better view than you'd have from the side - after all, you have to remember there are pillars to block your view, wherever you are.. cushions were available, all seating being on wooden benches - but I found I didn't need one.

He was asking whether I'd been to this church before, and I didn't think so - but on reflection, I think I actually was, pre-blog though. I seem to remember it as the church where I attended a classical concert and found myself sitting beside an American couple, in town for a few days, who were so jealous that I could come here whenever I wanted! Ironic, then, that it was years before I came back.. it is a beautiful place:




(That's not a fault in the second picture - the window is designed like that, slightly warped, and something of a landmark.)

I have seen Concertante before - actually, in my first Meetup with this group, in Southwark Cathedral. As well as beautiful music, they incorporate a sense of fun in their concerts, starting with a bit of a jokey speech. As you might expect, last night's was heavily biased against Tube workers. "Thanks for braving the strike!" he began. "Unless you're Tube drivers.." Cue nervous tittering. "Mind you," he continued, "Tube drivers earn over £50,000 per year - and work a 36-hour week.. at that rate, they could afford to come to all of our concerts!"

The first half concentrated heavily on Vivaldi - his Concerto for Two Violins in A Minor, and of course some of the Four Seasons - Spring and Summer, specifically. It really doesn't matter how often you hear them - they never grow old. Also included was Telemann's Concerto for 4 Violins in G Major.

After a short interval (to give us time to buy their cd), we had Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, and Bach's Concerto for 2 Violins. Plus some extras. And as the light dimmed outside, and the interior lights came on, the place seemed cosier. For the very last piece, they allowed audience members to take photo and videos - I don't think they realised what they were unleashing, as a flurry of people near me got into a frenzy of jostling for position and photo-taking.. all in all, a great, evening. And my cough didn't bother me once! Arriving on the outside porch, I discovered that most of our group had left, and those that were still there were on the point of leaving. A great pity, but what with the strike, they knew their journey would be longer, so I can't blame them.

For my part, it took me a small minute to figure out which direction my bus stop was in, but I did find it in plenty of time for my (delayed) #9. Which, when it came, was too full to get on, as I'd predicted. Luckily, when the next came along, it wasn't going the whole way; though it would take me far enough, there wasn't as much enthusiasm for it from the others at the bus stop, and I managed to squeeze on this one. I changed at Hyde Park Corner, and knew from the last strike that any bus that stopped at Stop N would do me - indeed, although the #74 would be best for me, it would be too crowded, and I'd be better off on one of the others. And so I came to take a #14, which, despite being on diversion, did take me close enough to home that I could walk.

I'll be rather glad to get away from London transport for the next few days - off to Ireland for a long weekend (flights on Sunday were too expensive, oddly, so I'm flying back on Monday instead). On Tuesday, I'm headed to a play called The Gathered Leaves, in the Park theatre, starring Jane Asher. No official tickets left, but plenty of sites have tickets for the upper level, at £26 for a face value of £20. On Wednesday, I'm excited to be back at the Globe for The Heresy of Love, and on a special Time Out offer too! (since expired, sorry). And on Thursday, 'tis Let's Do London - for less! again, at the intriguingly titled Bears in Space, at the Soho Theatre.. all together now, If you go down to So-ho today..

No comments:

Post a Comment