Friday 3 July 2015

Play: The Trial

I wasn't supposed to be going out on Wednesday night - but then I got a last minute offer of a free ticket to The Trial, by Kafka, at the Young Vic. Ah well now, that was kind of too good an offer to pass up! And it's not too long a journey - so I decided I'd brave the heat and go.

Indeed, it wasn't that far - but I was glad to get a seat after one stop on the District Line, especially the way the train was lurching. Then I had to change to the Jubilee Line, and didn't get a seat at all - but that was only for two stops. The trains were boiling hot, with many of the female passengers having brought hand fans, which they used vigorously. I was glad to get off at Southwark - until I was hit in the face by a blast of hot air from outside.

Turn right from the station and walk a short distance down The Cut - the Young Vic is on the right-hand side. I got my ticket from the box office, but the house was far from opening - I was very early. So I got a glass of rather peculiar, pink, pinot grigio at the bar. Wouldn't recommend it. Anyway, I managed to get somewhere to sit in the crowded bar, and by the time I was finished, the house was open.

My ticket was upstairs, so I climbed the stairs for entry. The corridor leading to the auditorium is lined with images that really only make sense if you know the story. But they are clever. I was, correctly, told to go in by the first door, but I suspect everyone was told that, because I ended up having everyone at the other end of the row clamber over me to get to their places, when they could just have come in that way..

Seating is on upholstered benches, and wooden partitions segregate the rows - these partitions are new, as far as I remember, and are probably designed to emulate a courtroom. My seat was in an excellent position, halfway along one of the long sides of the rectangular stage, and at the front of the balcony. And oh! the blessed ice-cold air blasting out from the air conditioning. Which was blocked off a bit as more people arrived, but we were ok.

The stage had a curious design, having a keyhole-shaped hole in the middle:


Turned out that this bit was elevated for the play itself, and the stage that was actually used comprised a rather clever conveyor belt, whose speed could be adjusted, and with a non-moving strip along the middle, in case people weren't required to move offstage. Very clever way of getting people and props on- and offstage!

This is a two-hour show, without interval. And yes, that does pose a challenge with the seating, which is ok, but not absolutely the most comfortable. Still. We were fine. The theme of the play is a successful businessman, surprised to find himself arrested one morning. He doesn't know the charge. Neither do the police, it transpires - nor the court; to know what he's accused of would prejudice the verdict. So the verdict must be decided before the charge can be known.

Welcome to the world of Kafka. The storyline is changed slightly from the original, but basically tracks the rapid mental collapse of a previously successful man, faced with a potentially horrendous fate, for an unknown reason, and with no way of knowing what to do to help himself. Everything he tries to do ends in failure. His one path to freedom seems to be to list every misdemeanour he's committed in his life, in order to earn the court's favour. He starts at the age of four.. these confessions are what line the corridor, and they make interesting reading on the way out.

It's Kafka, so it's rather depressing. It's an observation on the frustrations of bureaucracy, and doesn't end well for the poor man. For me, the play dragged a bit - I appreciate the story, and things do hot up when they get worse for him, but the protagonist didn't have enough personality to engage me. Still, kudos to him for enduring two hours straight! Runs until 22 August.

So, I went to Guildford yesterday, and all in all it's been to hectic to blog until now. I finally got this week's film list done.. now, our washing machine is broken and being replaced, and I've had to volunteer to stay in tomorrow to let the guy in. So I potentially have to be up early, which knocks out the film at the very top of the list for tonight, The Look of Silence, which is on too late. Instead, I'm off to Mr. Holmes, which I'll head to straight after work. Sir Ian McKellan plays the aged detective, who's vexed by his last case, which he messed up. Also stars Laura Linney.

Not sure what I'll get to tomorrow, I'll see how it goes. Then on Sunday, of course, I have a ticket with the London for Less! Meetup group to go see the Pop-Up Opera's production of "L' Italiana in Algeri". Looking forward to that.. no idea why their events don't come up in my calendar, though! I got an email notification of this one..

No comments:

Post a Comment