Saturday 4 July 2015

Dancing City

Ah yes, the new washing machine. Ready, dressed and groggy I was at 7 this morning, just in case the guy came to replace the old one. Mooched around for a while. Then I got a horoscope email, which said: You will definitely have to take the initiative today if you want the day to go smoothly. The folks in charge don't know as much about things as you do, and they could use a little help... Sitting back and watching them fail might appeal to a certain part of you, but if you do that, you'll only end up suffering in the end too.

Uh-oh, I thought, better see what's happening with this washing machine. Seems like the folks in charge don't know what they're doing. So I emailed the letting agent. An hour and a half later, I was actually having a nap (being exhausted from the early start) when she replied. Seems she emailed me and my flatmate yesterday, after placing the order, to say that they didn't deliver weekends, so it'd have to wait until my (student) flatmate is free, on Thursday. Except she forgot to include me on the email..

(Insert swear word here.) So I'd gone to bed early last night, and gotten up early this morning, for precisely nothing. And now I was wrecked, and hadn't a clear idea what to do for the day. I'd arranged to go to the Bermondsey Carnival with the CLOGgies, whom I met through Meetup, but I could always cancel. I had a look at what else was on, and saw something even more appealing - Ken's Events had something called Dancing in the City of Skyscrapers. Upon closer inspection, it was a series of free, outdoor, dance performances this afternoon in Canary Wharf. So I cancelled the poor CLOGgies, and booked with Ken instead.

Now, I haven't been to Canary Wharf very often, so some research was required. Ken had obligingly summarised the schedule on the event page, but I needed to know locations, as well as how to get there. I figured the journey would take about an hour. Strike me, but it's hard to get a decent map of Canary Wharf! Ironically, once I did get there, they were handing out free newspapers about this Greenwich and Docklands International Festival that's been on for the past week, apparently, and ends tomorrow. Huh, glad I caught it. Mind you, even had I known about it all week, I'd hardly have traipsed out all that way on a weekday.

The main reason that I mention this free newspaper here is that it contained the first decent map of Canary Wharf I'd seen printed! The only other decent ones are on public signs in Canary Wharf itself, but it's very difficult to get your own. I'm keeping this one.. Thing is though, when I was trying, before I left, to find the locations mentioned in the schedule, it was nigh-on impossible for most. Nowhere has a decent map. Google Maps shows all the street detail, but not names of the smaller ones at the zoom level that shows the whole of Canary Wharf. So if you don't know roughly where to look, you're out of luck. Not even the festival website has a map!! I ended up having to Google most of the locations, and persevering until I had an idea where on the map they were.

With all this research, and the lateness of when I found out I had the freedom to go anywhere, of course I knew I'd be late for the 1pm start. I figured I'd see how the day went, but I wasn't bothered about meeting up with the group; I only know one person who was scheduled to go - the organiser - and was more interested in seeing the acts. Anyway, the upshot was, I'd take the Tube. I could've changed to the DLR, but that's as infrequent as the Overground, so I figured the Tube was a better option. Again, the Tube was full of female passengers with fans - either custom-made or improvised. It wasn't so bad on the District Line - but the Jubilee Line was a nightmare. The aircon made enough noise, but I don't believe it blew us a puff of air.

The confusion started immediately I left the train. Which exit should I take? I had a choice of Bank Street or Montgomery Square. I was headed for Canary Riverside - and boy, had I had trouble figuring that one out! It shares its name with a luxury apartment development, y'see. Correctly, I guessed Bank Street, and the maps along the way helped to guide me, as I say.



However, I wasn't expecting how long it would take me to walk there, and by the time I got to Westferry Circus, I realised I wouldn't make it in time for that show - or the one after: and sat on a bench to consider my options.

Well, it turned out that the next after that was in Westferry Circus itself - a performance of the Haka. Fair enough, I thought, and found myself a bench in the shade, on this sunniest of days. As we prepared for the show, dancers in Maori costume came around handing out what I think were mint leaves, to the children.


Most spectators took a spot on the central grass section, and were asked to sit, for the benefit of those behind. Those too feeble to sit all the way down on the ground had plastic chairs procured for them. And we were duly treated to a 15-minute rendition, starting with the most beautiful singing by one of the women, and moving on to the physical actions. The rugby haka we all know and love only comprised the last minute or two, it seemed.


I always think it's wonderfully incongruous to have arts events among office buildings, and I thoroughly enjoyed this. Ahh, I miss New Zealand.. Anyhoo, they'd also handed out cards with the words of the Haka on them, and were going to teach us. But then I saw a curious thing. I saw a woman with a sign that said "Next Show: Follow Me, Journey 3". And when she and her devoted followers left, I followed them - I did have another show to get to, after all. Turns out I ended up following her all day - and not surprisingly, when I looked it up in the free paper this evening; this was the "marathon" journey, seeing all shows, and the only ones I missed were because I arrived late!

So, we schlepped back to Jubilee Plaza, which turns out to be exactly where I left the Tube. Mind you, I was unsure at this point whether I should be following this woman - so I did my own thing, and got lost:


(This is not Jubilee Plaza, it's Canada Square. But it is in roughly the right direction.)

I got there eventually, and saw the most enchanting dance performance. I'd seen in the listings that there were two dancers, but initially only the man came on, searching the crowd. Then he picked on a young woman - who did a marvellous impression of looking shocked and bashful, but I'd recognised her from the photo. And they had a most innovative (and acrobatic) performance, flinging each other about and generally having a whale of a time. Marvellous stuff! Funny with it. Hurycan, they call themselves. And Te Odiero is the name of the show. Look out for them!

After that, I realised that the next show was in the same place, which was handy. So I found myself a spot on the ground, in the shade. And despite the funny smell at ground level, that was pretty good. Apart from the stiffness when I got up. Turn Around Boy was the name of the routine, which featured two men - one initially blindfolded - maneuvering a circus wheel. Compagnie le Grand Jeté performed. Most impressive.

My next move was to the Cubitt Steps, which apparently take their name from an adjacent building, and have a statue at the bottom that divides opinion. As to whether it's art, or just ugly. Anyway, I made it there in time for a tap production, and coming in at the top of the steps, sat there too.


The production comprised six young ladies in 50s beach attire, performing jive, swing, and tap numbers. And had us swaying and clapping in time to the music. Charming stuff! Then it was a rush back to Jubilee Plaza, where I ended up standing at the wrong side, in the sun, for a performance during which I kept checking my watch. It started so similar to Te Odiero that I was sure somebody was plagiarising someone. And much manly swinging about ensued, among the five male dancers - some interesting moves, but the show was over-long (especially as I was being baked!), and most of it uninteresting.

Finally, I followed the lady from Journey 3 to Montgomery Square at last, where we watched a most engaging performance by Parkour, who clambered all over a climbing frame. And I felt myself sizzle in the sun again. Also noticed the (formerly) blindfolded guy from Compagnie le Grand Jeté in the audience - doubtless he appreciated the start of the performance, where they were blindfolded too!

I was damned glad to get back on the Tube. First though, I stopped by the WH Smith in the station - they were doing a roaring trade in cold drinks. The aircon was working on the Jubilee Line on the way back - well, kind of: it was blowing lukewarm air. But it was less crowded now, which helped. And I am so glad to be in, sat in front of a fan, and relaxing..

Tomorrow (mercifully late!) is the London For Less! meeting for the Pop-Up Opera's production of "L' Italiana in Algeri". I've reported to Meetup the difficulty in getting information on this group, and they've responded that they've reproduced the issue.. but no-one in software is working at the weekend! So we'll see whether they can fix it next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment