Sunday 7 June 2015

Film: Insidious: Chapter 3

Now, there are many people who know me, who would say that this was a foregone conclusion. But to be fair, I did give it a fair bit of consideration. Seriously!

For a start, I was up too late to avail of most of the things happening today. That Meetup group I applied for membership of - Free London Events and Talks - did confirm my membership this morning (while I was still asleep), but I still wouldn't have been out in time to go on their tour of "fire, pestilence and plague". Which was a pity, because I would've been interested.

That brought me to films - top of the list was Terminus, showing as part of the SciFi festival in Stratford East Picturehouse. But I wouldn't have been in time for the only showing of that, either! So I made my way down my film list, and came to Jurassic World. Fair enough, I said - and it was listed for my local Vue cinema.

Now, last time I went to the Vue, I got a deal with Yplan. I also remembered getting a £5 discount code from them recently - I checked, and it was only valid for 36 hours, but I'd only got it yesterday, so it was fine. I made a note of it - LIVEYOURCITY16 - and booked my ticket. I was not expecting to go through the whole booking process without a chance to enter the discount code! which is exactly what happened.

Oh well, it was still better than buying from the cinema. I now had my ticket - I suddenly thought to check the film times. Aw no! Turns out Jurassic World isn't showing until Thursday, when it's previewing. Well, now I had my ticket, so was pretty constrained to go to the Vue.. and of course, thoughts of Insidious flashed through my head. I knew it was pretty highly rated, at least.

Higher than that was Spy, though - but I've seen the trailer, and read a review, and neither led me to believe it was very good. So that got removed from my list. Then I was down to the 7.4s (ratings out of 10 on IMDB), where Insidious vied with Danny Collins. Until today, that is, when Insidious started to drop. Nooo!!! And today was the only day I could see Danny Collins in my local cinema. But I checked, and if I want to see it, it's in the Vue Westfield a couple of evenings this week. So I could avoid it in good conscience. And so I took an executive decision to see Insidious, which after all I had expected to see at the same rating as before.

Having sorted that - and battled with my computer to get the ticket printed, because of course the Yplan app doesn't work on my phone - I had just enough time to complain to Yplan. So I fired off an email asking how I was supposed to redeem the code, if I wasn't given the option? An email exchange followed, which did nothing to dispel my belief that people in helpcentres have to take a stupidity test. It's good enough to reproduce:

Me: How am I supposed to redeem this? I just booked something, but didn't see anywhere to enter the code!

Them: You're supposed to upload the credit on to your app before you make a booking. Go to the profile section and then to "My Reward". Hit the "Redeem A Code" button and then type the code into that section.

Let me know if you need anymore help.
Me: Thanks for nothing! You should have made that clear. This is the second time I've used Yplan, and the second time I've had trouble with it. I won't be using that code now, whereas I could have.
Them: Sorry you feel this way. I was just letting you know how the system works. What were you trying to book? Maybe I can help you out....
Me: Yes, you did let me know how the system works - AFTER I needed to know!
I wasn't "trying" to book anything - if you read my first email properly, you'd see that I DID book - a ticket for the Vue tonight. Like any normal discount code, I was expecting to see an option to enter it at time of booking. I didn't, of course. And now the ticket is booked, and I can't use the code.
Them: So - how about I cancel the booking and then you upload the credit and then you rebook?
Me: Too late - I'm on my way to the cinema. And I'm not changing my plans
Them: I'm not asking you to change your plans. I was asking you if I could refund the booking so you can do it again, so I can put right what went wrong in the first place. I am here at customer support and I am supposed to help rectify situations like this.
Me: Your app doesn't work with my phone, so I have to print out the tickets. And I've already left the house, so that's not an option
Them: I am sorry about this  
I'll get the technical team to look in to this. I will respond shortly.
Nearly four hours ago, that was. And what were they going to get the technical team to look into? This isn't what I was complaining about at all! (bangs head against wall..)
Well, anyway, I headed off to the cinema - a lovely warm afternoon it was, but I took my coat because the evenings are cold. I presented the girl at the till with the enormous code I'd printed out, and reassured her that it worked for the last guy, who just kept backing away from the scanner till it beeped. She, however, preferred to type in the reference code - so I was glad I'd printed out both (they come on separate pages, which would doubtless be handy for a phone display).
Trailers included one for Jurassic World, which does look good. And then the film started. Now, this is the third in the Insidious series, which concerns evil entities from a plane called the Further, who feed off the souls of the living. Pretty much purely psychological horror this, not a smidgeon of blood or gore. I unashamedly love the series - it taps into a strain of horror that I find particularly affecting.
And it is TERRIFIC! Best of the series so far, beyond doubt. There's less of the silliness that marred the first one in particular. As the Standard review pointed out, it has a lot more of the psychic, Elise, in it, and is all the better for it. Also notable for her acting talents is the young victim, Stefanie Scott. Specs and Tucker make an appearance, and we learn how they came to know Elise. Discussion of Dermot Mulroney, playing Stefanie Scott's father, is probably best avoided.

Horror aficionados such as myself will appreciate the subtle touches to this film - although there are plenty of jump scares, it's much more polished than the previous ones. And although several of the scares are revealed in the trailers, there's enough to keep you on edge - indeed, knowing what's coming sometimes makes you more apprehensive. The logic of some of the effects is maybe a bit screwed - but they're none the less frightening. Recommended, to all fans of psychological horror. I'm delighted I got to see it!

After the film, and after using the slightly whiffy toilets, I headed for food. Now, one scene takes place in a Chinese restaurant, and I said to myself, "ooh, Chinese.." There used to be a Chinese buffet just down the hall from the cinema, but I see it's been replaced now. So I headed downstairs - but Sainsbury's had closed early! So the only thing for it was Taiwan Village. Blessedly, for once they weren't busy - in fact, I was the only customer! The owner explained to me how I was lucky, and how busy it had been earlier. And after a delicious meal, she regaled me with stories of her recent holiday in Malta..
Tomorrow, there's virtually nothing happening on Meetup, so I'm heading to another film - and this time, maybe I will get to We Are Many!

No comments:

Post a Comment