Saturday 6 June 2015

Concert: London Concertante

I don't know how I missed the Meetup group London for Less! before - but there are so many groups. Anyway, with none of my Meetup groups having anything today that appealed, I had a look at what else was going on - and this group was running a trip to a candlelit classical concert in Southwark Cathedral. Well now, that sounded like the business - I joined and booked.

So I headed over there today - I had to run to Westfield first, and coming from that side, the engineering works on the Tube didn't affect me. I was looking up on Google Maps how to get from London Bridge station to the cathedral, and it's interesting to note that they completely ignore the fact that there's a flight of steps leading down from the street. I complained - again - and again, we'll see whether they do anything about it.

Our organiser had given really detailed instructions, so it was hard to get lost. Well done there! I rarely come across that level of attention to detail, to be honest. Anyway, for once I was early, and slightly beat him to his setting up. He gave us our tickets, and complementary programmes - what a luxury! I hardly ever buy a programme. And he instructed us to take our seats in the near side aisle, near the front for the best view.

I found myself sitting with some friendly folks from the group, and we chatted for a bit before the concert - we were in good time. The girl beside me didn't join in the conversation, but when there was a pause, she asked me whether we were a Meetup group. "Yes." She asked me which one, and I told her - she thought for a moment, and decided that wasn't one of hers. As she remarked, there are so many it's hard to keep track.. I think she'd come on another offer scheme; I saw a large table of envelopes near the entrance as I came in, and I think I caught sight of a Groupon logo. (Which reminds me, I really must check those more often.) Everyone around me who wasn't with my Meetup group had one of these envelopes. Jeez, was everyone there on one offer or other?!

They started in due course. First, though, they had to light the candles - because, of course, it was candlelit. Now, candles are very pretty - especially against stone, and indeed the cathedral was beautiful. But these candlelit concerts are a bit of a faff. It'd all be more authentic if they turned off the spotlights.. at least in the main part of the nave, for atmosphere.

The ensemble duly filed on. It was the London Concertante, and their designated speaker was a born comic, entertaining us before each piece as he explained to us the significance of what was to come. We started with a lovely bit of Mozart - and the audience applauded merrily after each movement. I know you technically shouldn't, but I've never agreed, really. There is a real break between movements, and it feels more natural to applaud. Anyway, this was followed by some Elgar (more applause between movements - my favourite was the Larghetto), and then the sublime Adagio for Strings, by Barber. The constant applauding became a nuisance here, where it became obvious that many of the crowd had never heard this piece before, and didn't realise that there's a silent bit before the end..

And then a cat passed by. Just as the guy was talking about the next piece. "A cat!" he exclaimed. Later reports had it that the cat started coming down the steps of the altar, where they were playing, and froze when it saw all the people. (I couldn't see - my view was partially obstructed by pillars.) And then it carried on.

A Holst piece took us up to the interval, where I went in search of a bottle of water - I was parched - only to discover that the café was closed. Bah humbug. I had a look around outside, but there was nothing. Getting a bit chilly now, though.

After the interval, they had Spring and Summer from the Four Seasons. The soloist, while no Nigel Kennedy, was very enthusiastic, with a fair bit of jumping around. You might consider these pieces overplayed - but when you listen to the sublime piece that is Summer, you realise why they're played so often. Unfortunately, these pieces were interspersed with pieces by Piazzolla, which were inspired by them. I don't think they won many fans - I saw a couple leaving after the first Piazzolla piece. In other news, the cathedral cat returned - round our side this time, to say hi.



Afterwards, some of us went to the nearby Old Thameside Inn. Predictably, it was crammed - but we managed to find a corner, and seats. It was very noisy though. Still, a good time was had, and the wine tasted much better after a few sips - as with most wines. Mind you, we were a bit shocked when last orders were not called, but the bell simply rung to denote the end of serving, with no prior warning. Beware.. the bell rings at 11, and that is that.

Great night, I'd love to join the group again - though I see their next few meetups are full up. Well, we'll see. Meantime, for tomorrow, nothing is enthusing me much. It's now too late to go to anything in the morning, if I'm to have a full night's sleep. There's an afternoon tour about "Fire, Pestilence and Plague" with the Free London Events and Talks group, but it turns out membership has to be approved - so I'm waiting on that. I doubt I'll get approval in time to go on this tour. Film-wise, top of the list is a film in the SciFi festival that's on at the moment - Terminus. However, it's only on at the Stratford East Picturehouse! An hour to get to, and it's only on at 2:30. Hmm.. watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment