Thursday 14 May 2015

Concert: Tintinnabuli

So, the procedure for planning something for tonight went something like this: (1) Checked my Meetup groups - nothing great happening. (2) Checked what other Meetup groups were doing today. Turned out that the All Things Baroque group was going to something called Tintinnabuli. Sounded promising.. but I couldn't see the details, because I'm not a member of the group, because they make you fill out an application form that has questions like who your favourite Baroque composer is. And I don't even know enough about Baroque music to say that!

(3) Googled it. Soon discovered that it was a concert, nice and close in Cadogan Hall (part of their Choral at Cadogan series), and performed by (gasp) the Tallis Scholars! Always fabulous. I was hooked. But did they have any tickets left..? (4) Yes, they had a few, and I promptly booked one.

The weather today has been miserable. If I hadn't this booked, and it weren't so close, and I weren't so keen, I'd have stayed in. But instead, I scurried along, in the rain and the cold, to the station, arriving at the platform just at the same time as a train, thankfully. As we approached Earl's Court, where I'd have to change if this weren't going the right way, it suddenly occurred to me that I didn't actually know where it was headed! Handily, it was going my way, and I could stay seated.

Three stops further on, I alighted at Sloane Square, and after passing through the barriers, sploshed my way through the literally flooded exit, and back into the quite heavy rain. Luckily, it's not far to the hall - turn right on exiting the station, and you'll see it up a side street - the building with the tall clocktower. From home, it took me under 20 minutes to get there. It was a relief to get in though - my coat was soaked!

As I approached the box office, the five-minute warning sounded. This was quite disingenuous of them, as I was sure it was more like 10. Anyway, I headed straight for my seat. Here, even for the stalls you have to go upstairs - this confused a couple I passed on the way. Also confusing is that the diagram on the website is opposite to the layout as you enter - so my seat was on the right, not on the left, as per site. Anyway, I found it without too much trouble - cosily tucked in by the wall. And what comfy seats they have!

The Tallis Scholars number 10, and dress all in black for their concerts - men in suits, ladies in full-length dresses: very striking. And from the moment they started to sing, we were transported. The name Tintinnabuli comes from the Latin for "bell", which aptly describes this style of singing. Each voice is heard separately, each voice rings clear and pure, like a bell. Heavenly.. the elderly lady beside me was so transfixed, she didn't even notice when her walking stick fell forward and clobbered the lady in the seat in front..

The concert was a sell-out, although when it started there were a few empty seats. These were filled by latecomers - there were some after every song in the first half (they had to wait for a break). I was sorry for their sakes, that they'd missed some - but the best was to come in the second half anyway. Which started with Allegri's Miserere. With a twist - they gave us surround sound for this, half the singers onstage, three in the audience, two in the choir. Stunning! My throat hurt, just listening to the high notes! Mind you, by the opinion of those behind me, even this was surpassed by Triodion.

After a rousing round of applause, the witty conductor tried to sell us on the idea of buying their cd / his book, which would be on sale downstairs after. Except it wasn't. What the hey, I was dying to get home anyway, in the freezing cold. It was even too cold to take a seat in Sloane Square, waiting for my train (the station is open to the elements). But at least the rain was lighter now.

Back to Ireland tomorrow. We're headed to see the comedian Pat Shortt in Glór on Saturday, and I'm back to London on Sunday. Then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are all Meetups - Monday with the Crick Crack Storytelling Club again, although in the Soho Theatre this time, so possibly more conventional. Slightly. Tuesday, I'm back with Film Nite, at another discussion in Soho House - this time, about Gone Girl. Love that film! Wednesday, I'm going to a meeting of the European club, where they'll be discussing Ireland. And on Thursday, I'm going to a Spring Extravaganza concert, where the same group has organised cheap tickets! ..except I've contacted the organiser about payment, and am still waiting to hear back..

No comments:

Post a Comment