Sunday 12 April 2015

Wimbledon & Putney Heaths

..didn't happen. I RSVPed to change my previous response of "Yes, I'm going". Frankly, I just couldn't be bothered - and with glorious sunshine again today, I could think of nothing nicer than a trip to the South Bank, and an ice cream cone.

Turned out to be quite breezy, anyway, so a walk probably wouldn't have been so pleasant. I took the Tube into town - despite a schizophrenic indicator board, which this time had no idea there was a train approaching! Moseyed along the South Bank for a while, had my ice cream. To their credit, they automatically put a Flake in every one! which is as it should be. Mind you, with the wind, it was quite awkward to eat it..

I might have taken a boat trip - they did great business today - but, again, it was too windy. And I thought of going to something in the Udderbelly Festival, right nearby - but today there was literally nothing on! So I came home after a while. As I crossed the bridge again, a cruise ship passed underneath and hooted, and those of us overhead it waved to those on deck. As is the custom.

Frankly, I'm glad to be in out of the wind, and it's also nice to have a relaxed day and not to have to rush. Tomorrow, I have that classical concert in the Purcell Room at the Southbank Centre (which I was outside today) for the centenary of the Armenian genocide. Tuesday, I fly back to Ireland. Wednesday is La Traviata in the University Concert Hall, Limerick, and Thursday we're attending a string quartet concert in the Limetree. And I'll stay for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment