Monday 13 April 2015

Spring Remembrance Concert

With nothing much of interest on in Meetup today, I took to Time Out, and came across this classical concert, in homage to the centenary of the Armenian genocide. Honestly, I'd never heard of that - but the linked article explains that it was part of the Ottoman Empire's strategy of ethnic cleansing, and was the event that inspired the man who coined the term genocide. Anyway, with a program including Khachaturian and Rachmaninov, I was interested, and booked a ticket - only £12, in the cheap seats at the back. But this was in the Purcell Room at the Southbank Centre, which I knew isn't very large as venues go - so that was fine with me!

Found myself sitting at Earl's Court for five minutes again, "because we were early". I wasn't worried though, because so was I. I didn't even rush, climbing onto the bridge. Arrived at the Queen Elizabeth Hall building, where the Purcell Room is located, early for once. I'm glad I knew where I was going, though. As I approached the box office, the five minute warning went - which is how I now know it's pronounced PurCELL here, with the accent on the second syllable, rather than PURcell, with the accent on the first syllable, as in Ireland. Interestingly, they didn't have a ticket for me, and had to print me a duplicate - but I didn't receive a Print at Home ticket this time, honest..

My seat, near the back, was pretty much dead centre of the row. Handily, this meant I didn't have to let anyone past. My view was terrific, and I always forget how comfortable the seats here are - nice, padded leather. I was rather vexed that most people around me had a programme, and I hadn't even seen any! but you did have to buy them, and I sneaked a peek at someone else's at the interval anyway. When she'd gone off to mingle, or whatever. Handily enough, the couple beside me didn't return after the interval, which left me a free seat to put my paper on.

So, the performers were the Khachaturian Trio. The pianist, for the first half, made me terribly jealous - she wore this full-length dress, of a gorgeous black sparkly fabric with the consistency of lamé. The others in the trio play violin and cello, respectively, with the violinist frequently having to pause (between pieces) to wipe his sweaty brow and fiddle.

To be fair, they worked hard tonight. The first half, comprising pieces by Armenian composers I hadn't heard of, was very lively - although I thought, of the three pieces, two finished quite abruptly. The second half was mostly Khachaturian, predictably (turns out he was Armenian), with a piece by Rachmaninov, and another composer I hadn't heard of. Program as follows:

Komitas: Vagharshapat dance
Edward Mirzoyan: Shushanik
Ernö Dohnányi: Sextet in C, Op.37
Interval
Aram Ilyich Khachaturian: Toccata in E flat minor for piano
Sergey Rachmaninov: Trio élégiaque No.1 in G minor
Arno Babadjanian: Piano Trio in F sharp minor
Aram Ilyich Khachaturian: Waltz from Masquerade Suite


After a standing ovation, they also played three encore pieces - I hadn't a clue what, mind, given that the announcements were in Armenian - and seemed to be understood by most of the near-capacity crowd. I recognised two of them once they began though - the first as the theme to an old tv series, The Onedin Line! Turns out that's a Khachaturian composition as well, fancy! I also recognised the last one, but have no idea of the name or composer, sorry..

A good night was had, and I'm glad I went. Back to Ireland tomorrow, La Traviata in the University Concert Hall, Limerick the day after, and another classical concert in the Limetree the day after that. More conventional this time - Brahms, Haydn, Mozart. Staying in Ireland for the weekend.

Next week is kind of all about Meetups, so far! They're getting active, with the advent of Spring, I guess.. anyway, for Monday, with none of my groups doing anything interesting, I had a look at the others. The two most interesting things to me were both plays, both meetings organised by groups of which I wasn't a member - and both charging membership fees, for no obvious discounts. So I picked the more interesting-sounding play - After Electra - checked Time Out to see where it was actually playing (The Tricycle), and booked a ticket for myself, without recourse to the group.

Tuesday got even more interesting. The most interesting thing happening that day is a talk on Palestinian cinema, run by a group called Film Nite, which had previously somehow escaped my attention. Now, they charge for this, but upon closer inspection it seemed to me that they organised it, too - so I was happy enough to book. So I simultaneously joined the group and booked. I then asked, on the page, out of curiosity, whether you pay on the door or in advance. Got a message from the organiser saying simply "Hi," and then nothing. Later he asked me whether I'd paid yet, and I explained I didn't know how, and that his last message seemed to have been truncated! So then he said he'd just set up a new Paypal account, which I'd be the first to use - and behold and lo, there was a Paypal link. I paid. Then he got all confused and said he'd see me tomorrow night, which is no good for me.. they have a number of events on, you see. It finally got cleared up. I think.

For Wednesday, I found yet another event being run by a group I wasn't a member of - CLOG (Central London Outdoor Group). A walk around central London, with a theme of horses (of all things!). Well, they go through narrow alleyways and lesser-known byways, and I love that, so I joined & RSVPed. And that's next week up to Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment