Thursday 30 April 2015

Senegalese Music With an Open Heart

Well, I finally made it to a meeting of the World Music Meetup! Tonight, they were headed to a concert by Senegalese group Minnjiaraby, of whom I'd never heard - but I looked them up on YouTube and was sufficiently impressed to book myself a place. Plus, it was free. And it only takes about half as long to get to Russell Square as to Dalston, where last night's event took place.

I still had to leave straight from work - the concert was to start at 7, and we were to meet at 6.30 outside. Anyway, it's a direct Tube from Earl's Court to Russell Square, although it was packed and I had to stand the whole way. I'd gone to the very back of the train to get more space, which turned out to be handy, as that end was where the station exit was (pure coincidence, it's ages since I'd been here). A lift took us to the street, and Google Maps had shown me that the way to the Brunei Gallery was easy - turn left, walk to the end, then a slight right and down the pedestrianised alley.

Practically the whole way there, you're reminded that you're in the vicinity of the School of Oriental and African Studies, whose signs are everywhere. This, it seems, is one of the semi-autonomous schools of the University of London. New to me - I've never studied here. Did have an unsuccessful job interview once with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, also apparently a constituent college. Anyhoo, the Brunei Gallery is also part of the university, it seems - which is handy, as there are a couple of direction signs to reassure you you're going the right way.

The organiser had said she'd meet us at the foot of the steps, and be wearing all red. And have blonde hair, Well, there was no-one of that description waiting expectantly at the foot of the steps leading into the building. It was already 6.35 when I got there, so after a moment I decided I'd better go in. There was quite an impressive lobby, with a plaque commemorating its opening by the Sultan of Brunei - which somewhat explains the name, I guess.

After a confused moment, I spotted the sign pointing downstairs for the Brunei Gallery Lecture Theatre, where the concert was to happen. Most people in the lobby seemed to be there for other purposes, but I followed another few people downstairs. Where the space was filled with people, milling about - they weren't letting them in yet. As I neared the bottom of the stairs, it occurred to me that these might have been the stairs the organiser had meant - and sure enough, there was a woman of that description standing nearby, with a knot of people around her.

Just as well she gave us that description, because I wouldn't have recognised her from her profile photo! Very much blonder hair - and frankly, she looks a lot older than her photo. Anyway, after introducing myself, I moved around a bit, and was duly greeted by someone who called me by my name. (I'd forgotten to remove my name badge!) We had a nice chat, until the doors were finally opened - they hadn't found all the musicians yet, but figured we might as well be seated while we were waiting!

The organiser said something convoluted about us having the central rows, which left me completely confused about where to go, so I plumped for somewhere in the middle. Which turned out to be fine. Legroom good too - this is a nice theatre. I chatted to another group member as we waited - this does seem quite a friendly group. And the musicians duly got themselves in order, and started - not too late.

The organiser had warned us that we might not be admitted if the theatre was full. No chance really - although it was quite full, it didn't fill completely. Actually, people came and went all through the concert. The door was left open, which was unfortunate, as where I was sitting, I got a constant draught from it.

The first piece, a traditional Senegalese song, was lovely. After that though, I thought that, while it was ok, it was a bit samey - every song sounding a bit the same. I'd have left early, if there hadn't been some people outside me. However, things really livened up in the second half, with Wouty a particular highlight. A couple two rows ahead of me recorded the whole thing on their phone, and a guy in the row in front of me carried on a distractingly animated conversation by sign language with his pal, sitting over by the wall because he arrived too late to get a central seat. The lead singer insisted we all get up and dance for the last one, and we obliged. A good night, all told - although I didn't feel compelled to buy one of their cds, on sale outside after.

I'd completely forgotten that mention had been made on the Meetup page of going to the pub after - and indeed, nobody seemed to be gathering as I left. I was hungry, but needed to shop for food - luckily, there was a Tesco Express right across from the station. I got a seat on the way back, and was comfortably sitting at home when a message was posted on the page, asking whether anyone at all had gone to the pub! Oh dear.. I guess I mightn't have been the only one to forget.

Well, I'm back to Ireland tomorrow for the long weekend - and taking an extra day, for the sake of cheaper flights! So I won't be back in London until Tuesday night, and my next night out is Wednesday. Now, when I started looking for something to do that night, Meetup didn't have anything that appealed - which led me to the horror that is the Time Out search. After literally hours of searching, I came up with something last night, but didn't book it because it wasn't selling out. And then today, something was finally advertised on Meetup that took my fancy: an evening of storytelling, with the Crick Crack Club. So I joined, and booked for that.. definitely different, this Meetup stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment