Friday 17 April 2015

Restaurant: Teach uí Bhriain

On a sunny evening, and with my stay in Ireland coming near the end, we decided to go for a drive this evening, and eat at Teach uí Bhriain, an eatery I know to be quite good. This evening, there was no parking directly outside, and I had to park a couple of spaces up. Now, I don't know whose bright idea it was to raise the pavement here, but they have - which means the car door on the pavement side scrapes off it when opened. So I had to let my mother out before I backed into the space.

Anyway, when we did make it inside, our regular corner spot was there. When I spied the long list of specials, I knew straight away what to have - specials they may be, but they're fairly consistent. I love the curry here, so I had that - but with chips: I'm not always sure what kind of rice I'll get, and chips are fine by me. My mother, of course, ordered salmon - sauce on the side. We're not mad about the starters, and anyway the portions are huge. We ordered a side of mushrooms instead.

Wine came first - in glasses that weren't the equivalent of quarter bottles, unexpectedly! I must remember to ask for quarter bottles specifically, in future. The curry came with a pleasantly dark and thick sauce, chips separate. Unfortunately, my mother's sauce wasn't separate, as requested. Never mind - she didn't complain. Much. We did enjoy our dinners, although her mash, it seems, is as tasteless as I'm used to. Well, the curry was delicious, as ever. I don't know whether the mushrooms were a good idea, though - they don't really go well with curry! We managed to finish, and even had room for a couple of portions of good ice cream for dessert.

Rumour has it that Francis Brennan has been to look the place over, or is scheduled to do so. He runs the five-star Park Hotel in Kenmare with his brother, and also has a tv programme - At Your Service - in which he attempts to improve tourist-type businesses. His brother was also involved in that, but seems to have got out of it. Well, the mind boggles! What changes might we find when we go there in future..?

Plans for the next several days unchanged - back to London on Sunday, After Electra in the Tricycle on Monday, a talk on Palestinian cinema, courtesy of the Film Nite Meetup group, at Soho House on Tuesday, and a walk in the City on Wednesday with the Central London Outdoor Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment