Monday 20 April 2015

Play: After Electra

So, when I was looking for something for tonight, I first checked Meetup. The most interesting things on were a couple of plays - but both were with groups that charge membership fees, with no obvious benefits. So, instead, I bought myself a ticket to the one that sounded more interesting - After Electra, at the Tricycle.

It's a while since I've been there, so I had to check the route - Overground to Brondesbury, then turn right and it's a very short walk. I checked what time I'd have to set out, and did indeed set out at about that time - hurrying, in case the train was early. I'd left it a bit tight, so getting stuck behind a large group of old age pensioners on the narrow pavement leading to West Brompton wasn't ideal - and I couldn't even go around them, because protective barriers line the path, surrounding a large hole that they've dug! When we got to the station, the path widened, I got past, and mercifully the Overground entrance was open for once, which made my way a bit less stressful, as it saved me several seconds of going around. Indeed, the train was pulling in as I descended the stairs. And that was lucky, because it was the last one that would have got me there in time!

The train was unusually uncrowded, and I got a seat straight away, sat and read the paper I'd picked up, in brilliant sunshine. I'd forgotten how quick it is - we were at Brondesbury within 20 minutes. Turn right upon exit and keep walking - you'll see a building ahead with "Brondesbury Medical Centre" on the side; it's just past that.

Once inside, I was a bit disorientated, as they've redecorated. For instance, I might be wrong, but I don't remember the colourful carpet from before:


More to the point, it's confusing to find the box office. I knew it was to the left as you enter from that side, but I don't remember the "Cinema" sign that points that way. (I was at the cinema here once, mind, so I should have remembered it's beside the box office.) Anyway, I collected my ticket, giving my postcode as identification, then proceeded to the auditorium, where I was told to proceed up the stairs. Rather uninformative, as the stairs lead first to the stalls, then to the balcony, where I was. But I've been here before, and soon found my seat - nice, plush velveteen bench seating. My seat was pretty much dead centre. I was also to discover that there was practically nobody else in my row, so I could spread out comfortably on either side.

The reviews of this play agree that it's hilarious, if contrived. "Contrived" has never been a problem for me - actually, thinking back, I think it's an unfair description of this play anyway. "Hilarious", though, is spot-on. It's basically the story of a fiesty old woman who decides she's going to commit suicide, regardless of the objections of her family. It turns a bit darker in the second half, but there's plenty of humour here, albeit much of it black!

The script absolutely sparkles. And, as that review remarked, it's great to see such great roles for older women. But don't go to see it because of that - go to see it because it is damn funny. Runs until 2 May. Highly recommended, and a good choice on my part. Mind you, it was freezing coming back, and the train that was scheduled for 9.58 downstairs at the station was scheduled for 10.03 upstairs, and finally arrived at 10.09. Brr! Mercifully, we didn't have to wait more than a few minutes when changing at Willesden Junction, although in the cold, it felt like an eternity.

Well, tomorrow night is that talk on Palestinian cinema, hosted at Soho House by the Film Nite Meetup group. This is the event with the £35 wine and canapé reception afterwards! But you know what? I guess I wasn't the only one who didn't think that was worth it, because last night, the organiser sent an email to members saying that because it was his birthday, the first 10 people to pay for the meeting (including those who'd already paid) could go to the reception for free. Methinks he hasn't seen much cash yet! So anyway, I was the first to pay, as it happens - which means I get to go to the reception. Which is nice, because this is a private venue and I haven't been before - it'll be nice to see more of it. (I suspect the birthday boy will make quite a loss on this event - I'm sure hire of the venue didn't come cheap.) Meanwhile, on Wednesday, I'm signed up for a walk with a horsey theme, in the City, with the Central London Outdoor Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment