Thursday 12 March 2015

The Top Secret Comedy Show

I was seeing what Meetup might have for yesterday, and came across the Top Secret Comedy Show. The format is that they have a warmup act, who's free, and then you pay a small amount for the main show, whose participants are secret, but generally include one who's known on television. Now, the warmup act is always Russell Hicks - I looked him up on YouTube, and really liked his act.. and besides, if you book in time, the price for the rest of the evening is only £1. (The Meetup group was charging £1.25, but I got in early enough to get a £1 ticket from the venue website, so I booked separately and went in on my own. If I'd waited until Monday to book, I'd have had to pay £5 on the website.)

The first thing that's secret about the Top Secret Comedy Club is the location. Well, not that secret - I mean, they do give you the address - but Streetview doesn't show any sign of it. Still, I figured, Drury Lane is easy enough to find, and I can figure out where #170 is when I get there. I got tied up with software updates at work, and had to leave straight from there for Covent Garden, which I see is again exit-only until November, while they upgrade the second pair of lifts.

I followed Streetview's directions to Drury Lane, which took me down Endell Street and Shelton Street, which becomes a narrow alleyway as you get to the Drury Lane end. That's correct - just continue down the alleyway, it actually turned out to be perfect for where I was going. Once I got to Drury Lane, across the road I saw #167, then #168. Things were looking up. I continued in that direction, and shortly came across a flight of stairs leading down, blocked off from the street by a transparent porch, on which was posted a small sticker saying "Top Secret Comedy Club". Right! This was it then.

There are no further signs until you get to the bottom, where I handed in my email confirmation, explained that I was here for both shows, and got a stamp on my hand to confirm that I was entitled to stay on after the interval. Inside, I got a drink at the bar at the back before it got busy. They have heavy curtains on rails to block off sections of this basement - seating for the first (free) show was past a curtain that partitioned the main seating area in two.

Now, Russell Hicks makes a completely improvised show out of gently ribbing audience members. So, if you don't want to be his guinea pig, don't sit in the front two rows - and I didn't. Interestingly, unlike last Saturday, this time it was easy to spot the Meetup members - they all had name badges and were sat to the side. I think they spilled into the other side section eventually - there were lots of them. Ok fine - I was here on my own tonight, and I didn't make contact. I took an aisle seat, and was pestered the whole night by people climbing over me on their way to and from the bar.

Just after 7, the show started. Gotta recommend Russell Hicks, I think he's brilliant. I really enjoyed it, and there was a good vibe. I was sorry when he finished, at abt 7.45. I was even sorrier when the advertised start time of 8.15 for the second show dragged on to 8.30, before an MC that I found incredibly annoying came on, and we had to endure him for fully another 15 minutes before the next act came on, at about 8.45. I wasn't much impressed, either by this act or by the one after him, and when they took a break just after that I made my escape, glad to get home and get something to eat! And glad, under the circumstances, that I hadn't gone with the Meetup group, so I could please myself how long I stayed.

In general, this show is probably variable, but is definitely cheap - and Russell Hicks, warming up the crowd for free from 7, is absolutely worth going early for! After I'd fed myself, there wasn't time to blog.

Tonight, I'm going to a Meetup event proper - a concert by the Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts, at St. Peter's Church, Eaton Square. Free tickets available from Ken's Events, the Meetup group involved, and priority given to holders of the Ken's Events card. So I bought one - it's cheaper than getting a regular ticket for the concert anyway, and it'll be valid for all Ken's Events for a year, so could represent a real saving for me. Indeed, Meetup is so far at least good for two things - interesting ideas of things to go to, and saving money! Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend - not returning until next Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment