Wednesday 4 March 2015

Restaurants: Pizza Express (Kensington Olympia) & The Famous 3 Kings

So, the plan last night was to go to a performance art show in the Women of the World Festival. But first, it was the last day for one of our colleagues, a popular guy - and so we trooped out for a farewell lunch. He'd sent around a mail earlier, inviting people and asking them to respond so he'd know how many to book for. He was duly puzzled when more showed up than had said they'd come. As someone else remarked, it might have something to do with his changing the venue to Pizza Express (Kensington Olympia).

I've passed it many times, but never been in this one. It's walking distance from the office, and it was a lovely day, so we happily headed off at lunchtime. The building itself is interesting - a wood and glass entranceway leads into an extremely spacious, high-ceilinged room, which yesterday was flooded with light. The classic Pizza Express black and white theme was reflected in the black chairs, and the white marble tabletops. It wasn't crowded, and they had no problem just pushing up an extra small table or two to join to the several they'd already pushed together for us.

The menu is the Pizza Express standard, of course, and I ordered what I usually have. I thought it was a bit cold, which might have had something to do with the huge order we were putting in. Also, strangely, I seemed to be the only one not provided with a pizza cutter. Still, it was fine. I had a tasty apple juice, and jugs of water were provided on request. Most others had pizza, like me - there was one salad, and a few enormous calzones, served on plain black platters with salad to the side. So, same as any Pizza Express really, but in a gorgeous room - a very pleasant setting for a meal, if you're in the area. I was just sorry that nobody else wanted dessert, so I was unable to indulge in their delicious chocolate cake!

Drinks were mooted after work, and a few of us headed over to the subsidised bar across from our office, in the same complex. Frankly, the conversation and company were so good that, when the time came for me to head off for my show, I decided I'd rather stay where I was. So we stayed until we were the last there, then headed for food - and someone suggested the Famous 3 Kings. This is actually a pub across the road, which does food - and it's beside the Tube station.

Another place I've often passed, but never been in! It's got a large interior, and wasn't crowded - so we took a table by the (non-functioning) fireplace. The menu included a special offer for 2 meals, so my two remaining companions went for that - burgers and chips - while I fancied the sound of the chicken kiev. We ordered at the bar, and I switched from alcohol to a welcome soft drink. Food was shortly brought to our table, followed swiftly by cutlery and condiments, and we ate it gratefully. I can't say it reached the heights of culinary excellence, but it was serviceable, and handy for our purposes.

Tonight, I might actually get to the show I was supposed to go to on Monday! Dracula (aka Mr Swallow - the Musical) is showing in the Soho Theatre, but was cancelled on Monday due to illness. I booked it on foot of a preview video I found on YouTube - looks fun! And tomorrow, I've booked for something else in the Women of the World Festival - the Baulkham Hills African Ladies Troupe.

No comments:

Post a Comment