Monday 30 March 2015

Play: The Cutting of the Cloth

Well, Meetup had nothing scheduled for tonight - which was something of a relief, after last week's antics! Instead, I turned to Time Out.. and after tortuous hours, on Page 26, I came across something that sounded like an option and wasn't sold out! The Cutting of the Cloth is showing in the Southwark Playhouse. I had a look around for offers, and found plenty - but none to beat the offer advertised on Hot Ticket Offers, which guaranteed 1/3 off the price on the venue website if you entered the code HOT. So I did, and booked a seat for tonight.

I set off in light rain; I'd had to look the directions up, it's been a while. Handiest for me was Tube to Embankment, then Bakerloo Line to Elephant & Castle. Of course, the District Line was as relaxed as usual - but I'd set off in good time. Thankfully. At Earl's Court, more sprightly souls made a dash for the train at the adjacent platform, which was also headed into town - but I was in time, as I say, and couldn't be bothered. Which was just as well, as we then waited there a further 5 minutes..

After a short stop upon finally exiting Earl's Court, we did eventually get to Embankment, where I changed, and got myself to Elephant & Castle. They actually have excellent directions in the confirmation email, and as they say, take the exit for the South Bank University. After taking the packed lift to surface level, I did - make sure not to follow the crowd if there's a crush to the left as you exit; there are more barriers to the right. Upon exiting, head to the left down Newington Causeway, cross at the crossing, and the theatre is on the right, just past the bridge.

Seating is on comfortable folding chairs, with plenty of legroom. And I hunkered down, ready for the performance. Now, this is set in a tailor's workroom, in 1954. We have four extant workers - the cranky old master tailor who won't use these new-fangled sewing machines, his put-upon daughter, another master tailor who favours the machines, and another woman whose relationship to him is unclear, but she may be his wife. Enter the naïve young apprentice tailor, who has the misfortune to be apprenticed to the cranky old guy.

They seem to be doing the tailoring for real. The sewing machines and steam irons do seem to work, and they spend much of their time stitching. It's interesting to see them hammer the jacket shoulders into shape. Sadly, that's about as much as is interesting about this play. It's a shame, I really wanted to like it. Time Out had warned that it had no plot, but I've seen good plays before that hadn't. The acting and staging are good.. it just lacked, for me at least, any engagement. I didn't see anything new in it. It reminded me most of an old play that you might watch on television, and it occurred to me that, if I came across this on television, I'd turn it off or change the channel. It seemed to be headed in a very predictable direction, and when the major dramatic climax of the first act arrived, I found it very ho-hum. So I left at the interval. At least the lift in the station was less crowded on the return journey..

Anyway, it runs until Saturday, if you're interested. Booking probably advisable - it was almost full tonight. And besides, then you can avail of that offer!

Tomorrow night, I'm headed there again, for These Trees Are Made of Blood. Set in Argentina during the Dirty War, I do hope I find it better than tonight's.. it was sold out for at least one performance, so I said I'd better book.

No comments:

Post a Comment