Tuesday 24 March 2015

Film: Mommy

Oh joy, my internet is back!! I called Virgin Media this evening - their website said the helpline was open till midnight, so I called just after 9. Turned out to be an automated voice, which led me through list after list of options, before telling me that the service team went off at 9. Grr! But they also advised me to start by unplugging the router and leaving it off for 5 minutes. And guess what.. it worked.

So here I am, to tell you that yes, I did go to Mommy today. It's showing in quite a few places around town, but the closest to me is the Cine Lumiere, in the Institut Francais. I do not believe I've been there since I started the blog.. and that's nearly two years ago! Goes to show how much is on - because it's a really nice place, and delightfully close to home for me. Anyway, I decided on the early showing, and left straight from the office.

A wonderfully short Tube journey - three stops - saw me in South Kensington. Mind you, I'd had to look up the route from there, it's been so long! When you exit the station, look for the white NatWest building. Head up that street, leading straight away from the station. Take the second right, by which time you should see signs for the Institut, and the entrance is in a small cul de sac on the right hand side - you should see the film posters. As you enter, a marvellous, white marbled lobby presents itself. The box office is on your left - there's generally a small queue. When you have your ticket (£10 standard), proceed up the grand staircase - there's just one screen, to your left. This showing was practically empty - they often are. Sit where you please - the seats are a plush pale blue, with plenty of legroom. And as I settled in, I remarked to myself that this is the easiest evening's entertainment I've had in a while.

This is a remarkable film. It's set in Quebec, which - appropriately for the venue - means it's in French. Not French as spoken by the French, mind you! Québecois French is notorious, particularly for its pronunciation - as I overheard someone remark to her companion on the street outside as I walked back to the station, that French was weird. If you speak French but are unfamiliar with this pronunciation, you'll struggle. Don't worry, though, even in the Institut, this was subtitled in English!

It's about the single mother of a teenage boy with ADHD and a dangerously violent streak. Forget all the preconceptions that might lead you to, though - this is a beautiful film. Not a schmaltzy film, not a depressing film. It's inventive, it's a joy to watch - the cinematography is beautiful, the acting superb. The story twists and turns in directions you really don't expect. The characters are real, and engaging. The boy with ADHD reminded me so, so much of a boy with the same condition that I gave private tuition to, some years back. He had exactly the same mannerisms. He committed suicide a couple of years after leaving school.

It's a terrible condition, and the film is at times scary, and often offensive. An elderly couple at the front left after a while, probably disgusted at the character's antics. The Evening Standard review said that the only thing not superb about the film was the script - and it is indeed a masterclass in swearing. But oh, oh, the soundtrack.. you know all the songs you've come across in your life and absolutely loved, and have forgotten all about? Odds are they're in here. I only wish I could get a copy of the soundtrack.. Go see, this is a superior film. That's the advantage of restricting myself to high-rated films - they are a cut above.

Afterwards, I was hungry - and although there are a couple of good restaurants on the way back to the station, I fancied my local Chinese. A Tube came without delay - when we stopped at Earl's Court, there was another delay "to regulate the service". An announcement then said the next train to arrive would also be headed in our direction. We all looked poised to jump off and go for that one. Some did so. However, ours left first - only to be stopped at a red signal immediately after, to let the other train through. Tip: take the more modern-looking train, it'll probably be given priority.

Tragedy at the Chinese - they no longer have spring rolls on the menu! and those were the single best dish. Darn - I mustn't have ordered enough of them. Frankly, that removes much of my preference for this place..

Tomorrow is the comedy walk through Soho. Hopefully, I'll be ok for it. I see the only other Meetup member that seems to be going is the organiser of the Unique Events group. And on Thursday, I get to meet the organiser of the Fill My Weekend group, which could be interesting, as I've done my best to publicise the fact that the event for that evening, Wonderfully Wicked Witches and Old Women, still has tickets available on its own website. Despite them being sold out on the Meetup website - where they're also more expensive. Now, he's taken down the post I put on that event page to that effect - but I've contacted as many members as possible on the waiting list, and hopefully I can help some..

And after all that, it's back to Ireland for the weekend! Phew..

No comments:

Post a Comment