Thursday 22 January 2015

Play of Thrones

Shakespeare's Henry VI, in the style of Game of Thrones. Well now, I have zero interest in Game of Thrones, and I'd never seen Henry VI before. But I am fascinated by that period in history, so this was a no-brainer. Despite the review in a recent Evening Standard, that while praising some aspects of the production, did think the performances were patchy. Anyway, looking at the website, I could see there was limited availability, so I booked.

I'm not sure, but I think I was at Union Theatre once before. Anyway, it's an easy one - Tube to Southwark and a short walk. I was feeling a bit fluey, but headed out anyway, in good time. As usual, the District Line was clunky and prone to delays. It was interesting to watch the platform indicator at Earl's Court.. when we pulled in, there was a train at the next platform, which was slated to go first - but you can't take the risk, it isn't always accurate. It was on this occasion. When the next train replaced it, that train was also slated to go first. It didn't. Goes to show.. It was a relief to get onto the zippy Jubilee Line.

I don't get off here often, but it turns not to be too hard. Two exits are signposted as you leave the platforms - the train station, and everywhere else. Take the exit not for the train station. Sundry roads are signposted - just leave the station and head straight ahead, past the large office building across the road. Continue under the railway arch - the entrance to the theatre is just on the other side of the arch, on the left.

I passed through a kind of cafe area, with a guy at a table that looked as though he might be selling tickets. But I had already booked mine, and printed the receipt - and a sign behind him said to continue to the box office if that were the case. So I did, through a double door into a tiny bar. Gave them my receipt and got a card with a number on it. I'd read this in the play information, but he told me again in case I didn't know - we'd be sent in in groups of 10, by number. I was 37.. When I got in, I saw the two seats in front row centre were free - so I took one.

Seating is unassigned, and tiered. Quite comfortable - luckily, because this runs to three hours, including interval. It was about five minutes before the performance started. And I loved it. Well, they'd have had to do something serious to make me hate it. So, you have Shakespeare's beautiful texts.. and for a Game of Thrones-type twist, dramatic background music, more female characters (notably, the Duke of York is now the Duchess - but also, Joan of Arc's mother, rather than her father, appears), and characters that glare at each other periodically, just to remind you that they're not best of friends. And a plot voiceover - as someone remarked at the interval, this was much clearer than the RSC production of it she'd seen. Duh!

As I mentioned, the Evening Standard was taxed by some of the performances. For my part, the production itself was so dramatic that I don't think anyone would notice whether someone's performance was a bit off. The set is sparse, the only props being a chair that acts as a throne, and a few ladders, used extensively throughout - as walls, as bookcases, as things to stand on to get a vantage point, and during the battle scenes, the actors pick them up and thrust them at each other. Quite noisy, that. I liked the clever mock red and white roses the Duchess of York and Duke of Lancaster wore - made of bits of appropriately coloured paper, sandwiched between the plastic covers that the queue numbers come in. (BTW, the "Duke of Lancaster" should be the Duke of Somerset - there was no Duke of Lancaster at the time, but I guess they wanted to emphasise the Lancastrian connection.

They bookend the play with bits from plays set before and after - the "Once more unto the breach" speech from Henry V, and the first line from the "Now is the winter of our discontent" speech from the beginning of Richard III. Speaking of whom, Richard gets a look-in here, of course, and the Evening Standard praised his performance highly. They were right to - he was perfectly cast, and presents a sinister figure at the end of the play.

The only fault I had to find was that the place was freezing. They had heat on when we came in, but seemed to turn it off soon after the start. They chucked us out at the interval - the hall outside was even colder, with the outside door open, so I made my way into the bar - and made a dash for the open stove, where I remained for the duration of the interval. Someone apparently asked the barman whether they sold hot drinks and was told they didn't - fools, they'd have made a fortune!

Highly recommended - but maybe bring a blanket. Runs until Saturday - decent availability for tonight, sold out tomorrow night, and only one ticket left for Saturday. So get a move on if you're interested! The event did nothing for my flu, and I shivered all the way home and was too sick to write the blog last night. I had a debate on cyber security booked for tonight, but frankly, I'm going to run home to bed and stay there. Anyway, it was free. (Gee, this is becoming a habit, booking free debates and cancelling because I have the flu!)  Looking around for what's on tomorrow, my primary impression is that pretty much everything is sold out. But there is a show called Shaw's Women, at the Tristan Bates Theatre, that seems to have good availability - and there is also some comedy. If it isn't sold out too! But I'll wait and see what happens with my flu..

No comments:

Post a Comment