Monday 8 December 2014

Cirque Berserk

It's become quite the tradition for me to go to Hyde Park Winter Wonderland, since I moved here, and within that, to go to the Cirque Berserk. I booked it weeks ago, and then nearly forgot about it, of course! I've now taken to recording things in an online calendar. Much safer.

I went straight from work, on a packed Tube, and blithely ignored all the warnings about overcrowding at Hyde Park Corner, disembarking there and exiting without incident. I do like the big, pink sign they have, pointing the way to Winter Wonderland. They are rather good at managing crowds. When you have to cross the road to the park, there are crossing guards at the zebra crossing, coordinating with each other, alternating allowing passage of vehicles and of pedestrians. I arrived alive. As they say.

I had a little time before the circus started, so had a stroll around. Pictures here. I thought this was huge last year - if anything, it's bigger this year! Market stalls, food stalls, bars, ice rink, fairground - I wandered around, did a bit of shopping, and eventually wound my way around to the circus tent, which promised it was "warm inside".

Well, it was. I see there are three shows a night - I booked for the early one. No-one told me where to sit; I had a choice of tiered, hard seating, or chairs nearer the ring with a kind of velvety covering. I took one of those. I was quite early, but by showtime the seats were nearly fully occupied.

Now, I saw this last year, but heard they had a new show. I even heard some of what was different about it. I can safely say that it didn't dent my enjoyment to know that they have a jeep drive over a guy's chest, for example. Now, there's something you don't see every day! And I knew that the star attraction from last year was back - the "Globe of Terror", with the motorcyclists buzzing around inside. Fair play to them - they recognised their biggest draw, and capitalised on it - and it is worth the price of admission all on its own. Like last year. I won't tell you what's different about that act, though. ;-) Jaw-dropping, is all I'll say. Kudos also to the motorcycling juggler and the contortionist. Good idea to put her on a revolving turntable, so you can see her from all angles.

With a Mad Max-esque theme and a blaring rock soundtrack, it's a full-on performance, and although it's only 45 minutes long, I thought I had my money's worth. Highly recommended. Imagine though, doing all that three times a night! As we filed out, an enormous queue was waiting to get in - evidently, there are people who agree with me on this. Runs until the 4th, except Christmas Day.

When I got outside, the temperature seemed to have dropped about 10 degrees, and I was freezing. A piping hot waffle with maple syrup, a punnet of chips in gravy, and a hot chocolate with mint syrup (topped with cream, of course) did something to alleviate that - but I had my glove off to eat the waffle, and by the time I'd finished, my hand had gone numb. Seriously cold out there. I was so glad to get back underground, and even gladder to get home. I completely forgot to go on my bear hunt, but frankly, it was too cold anyway - and I'd never have been able to find him in the dark.

And I'm already overdue to get to bed - not only is it too chilly to be up, but I have to be up early in the morning (again) to get U2 tickets. Mostly got what I wanted today, solely by being up in time. The early bird, as they say.. Tomorrow evening, I could go to A Christmas Tail - Weirdos Alternative Comedy. We'll see. On Wednesday, I'm off to another carol service - this time in Grosvenor Chapel in Mayfair. The ticket finally arrived today - I'd forgotten I needed one. On Thursday, there's a drinks reception for someone who's leaving - might pop along. And on Friday, Helen and I are off to the Chocolate Festival! O dear, my waistline..

No comments:

Post a Comment