Thursday 20 November 2014

Concert: London Philharmonic

Heh. The last time I was in the Royal Festival Hall, I had a terrible seat, at the side of the stage, that blocked off a substantial portion of the stage, despite that row not being marked as "Restricted View". But I could see there were plenty of better seats facing the stage, so wasn't worried about going again. As long as I was facing the stage!

So, when the London Philharmonic was advertised as playing there last night, I was happy to book. I chose a cheap seat in the rear stalls. I was a bit concerned that I'd have been at a training course earlier - and up early for it - and wouldn't have been up to a concert as well. In the event, I managed to stay awake (just about!). There was a drinks and nibbles reception that evening in the training centre, which nicely left me with plenty of time - but not too much - to make my concert. I could take the Northern Line straight to Charing Cross and walk from there.

The view from the bridge was as spectacular as ever. As I came to the south end, I could see the lights of the Southbank Christmas Market! I didn't know they were open this early, and given that I had time, I had a look around. Sadly, it seems woefully depleted from last year, with - on the basis of last night's evidence - less than half the number of stalls, and those mostly food. Therefore, not worth a special trip this year (unless there are more to come) but worth swinging by if you're headed to something in the area.

After about five minutes checking them out, and not seeing anything, I made my way to the Festival Hall and got my ticket. She didn't direct me to the door this time, so it's a good thing I've been before. Which direction you go in depends on the colour marked on your ticket - green or blue, left or right as you enter. Once you've figured that out, it becomes pretty easy - stairs or lift, clearly signposted. I was in the very back row of the stalls, which meant climbing a lot of stairs, but I was soon seated. With an excellent view, I might add, for less than I paid for that dreadful seat the last time.

The seats are comfy enough, but just a tiny bit cramped after a whole concert. Still, it was a lovely evening of Brahms and Strauss, and Schubert's Unfinished Symphony - the only one I recognised. As I say, I was tired, and just managed to stay awake. And so home, and to bed early, and too late to blog.

And now farewell, I must study for tomorrow's exam! Tomorrow evening, we're talking about drinks in the Somerstown Coffee House, near the training centre. On Saturday, I'm off on a daytrip to Oxford - I've never been, and Helen has something of an itinerary planned for us! And on Sunday, I have a busy day ahead; I got a couple of Sweet Sundays vouchers a while ago, for Cineworld tickets on a Sunday, and I do believe the remaining one expires before I'll be in London on a Sunday again! So that's a plan for Sunday. Not only that, but I popped into the local shop this evening and the shopkeeper gave me a free ticket to the Christmas Ideal Homes Show, taking place locally - he wasn't using it. Sunday is probably the only day that'll be convenient for me to go - so that'll be a busy day indeed. Excellent luck though, I wanted to go to that anyway, but hadn't yet bought a ticket!

No comments:

Post a Comment