Monday 17 November 2014

Ballet: Ceremony of Innocence / The Age of Anxiety / Aeternum

The age of ballet continues! Tonight, I went to see a trilogy of contemporary ballet at the Opera House: Ceremony of Innocence / The Age of Anxiety / Aeternum. Back in the Auditorium again, I chose a nice seat, dead centre of a row, not right at the back - although as long as you're central, the view is great from any level here.

There must be a new policy of only running Eastbound trains to Edgeware Road through West Brompton in the evenings - this is the second time recently that Edgeware Road was the only destination displayed! Fair enough - I wanted to change to the Piccadilly Line at the next station anyway. Covent Garden station was unusually uncrowded, and I got to the Opera House, and to my seat, with time to spare. Mind you, I did pause to wonder, as I hurried along the corridor to my section, why the sofa along the wall was completely occupied with people that seemed in no hurry to get anywhere!

I was early enough not to have to push past anyone in my row, which was still almost empty. Being dead centre of the row meant I didn't have to let anyone past me, either. The entire row did fill up by curtain up, though. To my left were a group of friends - they tended to interchange seats, so that after each of the two intervals, I had a different person sitting beside me. And by the end of the night, my legs were complaining about the ever-so-slightly snug legroom up there. But it was ok.

I hadn't bought a programme, nor even seen any of the free fliers to bring with me - which I could have done with, because I hadn't a clue what was going on. But I must say, each of the ballets looked absolutely incredible. The technique was superb, the choreography gorgeous, the sets inventive, and the visual effects stunning! Really, they were a joy to watch - despite their subject matter, all war-related. The first, Ceremony of Innocence, with music by Benjamin Britten, dealt with a man remembering his lost innocence, brought to life by dancers performing behind him. The second, The Age of Anxiety, followed the story of four strangers who meet in wartime in a New York bar and attempt to find some meaning in things. Finally, Aeternum, winner of an Olivier award and again with music by Benjamin Britten, dealt with the fallen of war, with images reminiscent of a battlefield and a stark stage. Stunning stuff. Unfortunately, this was the last night - keep an eye out for the next performances of these ballets - they're memorable.

I took the stairs all the way down, having taken the escalator part of the way up. Stairs all the way really helps you to realise how high up you've been! And outside, I was glad I was in Covent Garden last week and took photos of the Christmas lights - I'd have hated to miss them, and I didn't have a camera on me tonight; my phone was at home, charging. The cold night air made me glad to get underground in the warm - these are the days to start dressing more warmly! On my walk back home from the station, I spotted a fare-dodger jumping the fence. Full credit to his athleticism..

Well, I'm on a training course for the rest of the week. Early starts, and on the other side of town. Lovely! Indeed, I should have been in bed long ago. What the hey. I'm being optimistic about my energy levels, and have booked classical concerts for the next two nights. Tomorrow night is York 2 in St. John's Church, as part of the Wimbledon International Music Festival. It's a husband and wife duet, four hands sounding as one player. And on Wednesday, I'm back in the Royal Festival Hall, for a concert by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Rear stalls this time, and hopefully a better view! Couldn't be much worse than the last time I was there..

No comments:

Post a Comment