Thursday 16 October 2014

Film: Gone Girl

Oh, at last! I've been waiting for the film of Gone Girl for over a year - ever since I read the book. This was a book so gripping that I literally couldn't put it down. And the film came out last week - but there's been so much else on..

I really wanted to see it this week, before I go back to Ireland for a week. And tonight, I did! It's nice that the rain held off for my walk to (and from) the cinema - I can hear it raining now, outside. And my, it's - I counted - 11 days since I was even at the cinema. Well, now! There wasn't much of a queue - well, I was early - and since he didn't bother to ask what seat I wanted, I didn't bother to take his choice, and just sat where I wanted. Which caused a moment's consternation when the people actually supposed to be sitting there came in. Well, I just moved in a bit. And then I think the people supposed to be sitting where I now was came in - but sensibly just sat in the row in front. The screen was maybe a third full.

There were a couple of trailers I hadn't seen, for films I have heard of - The Imitation Game had quite a drab trailer, I thought, for a very highly rated film: well, but it is set during wartime. The Drop, on the other hand, had an intriguing trailer, and I'd be interested in seeing it.

And so to the main feature. Now, I mentioned that I adored the book. What do we want of film adaptations of books that we love? That's right, we want them to live up to the book.

This film.. not only follows the plot of the book to the letter (despite rumours that they'd changed the ending, I'm glad they didn't) - but also the spirit. I have never seen an adaptation so faithful to the original - doubtless because the author also wrote this screenplay. Which did I prefer? Probably the book - only because you could put it down (I frequently did) to go "WTF?! WOW!" The major plot twist in the film is signified by the screen going black for a couple of seconds - then our leading lady starts to speak, and you are into the second part of the story. Of course, it would happen equally quickly in the book if you didn't pause, as mentioned above..

Having said that, I think the ideal is to read the book first, then allow sufficient time to elapse, as I did, before seeing the film. Oh, it was terrific to see all of this brought to life! I had forgotten plot elements, and it was great to be reminded of them onscreen.

Gee, I can say very little about this without giving away the plot. Basically, a wife (Rosamund Pike) goes missing, and her husband (Ben Affleck), naturally, becomes the prime suspect. The evidence soon mounts against him, and we're privy to her diary, in which she becomes increasingly paranoid about him. Whom do you believe - the evidence and her words? or his apparent innocence and disbelief? The story switches between both. As you go deeper into this story, it is made apparent that you can never really know anyone.

Apparently, there was some initial displeasure over the casting of Rosamund Pike. Rubbish, she's fantastic in this! Plays it to perfection. I can't even tell you why, for fear of revealing the plot. :-) But it seems that the dissenters quietened when they saw her in the trailer. Also stars Neil Patrick Harris, as an ex of hers whom she accused of stalking her, and who also becomes a suspect. Special mention must go to the woman who plays Ben Affleck's sister - she is perfect in this role!

Film of the year - go see. Or read the book, and get this later on dvd or Blu-Ray. But you must see it.

Well! Off to Ireland tomorrow. Next thing I've booked for is The Man in the Woman's Shoes, a one-man comedy show at Glór, next Thursday..

No comments:

Post a Comment