Saturday 4 October 2014

Dance: Sequence 8

Today was the final day of performances of Sequence 8, and I was delighted to get a ticket! Staged by Sadler's Wells, fortunately it was in their West End home, the Peacock Theatre - which is about half as far from me. I booked a cheap ticket in the rear stalls, and headed off there today - Tube to Temple, and a short walk.

Good job it was a short walk, because it was raining pretty uncomfortably all the way there. Google Maps sent me up Aldwych, then via a succession of back streets. Which seemed curious to me, given that I could just head up the main thoroughfare of Kingsway, where it would be immediately visible. From the map, it looked shorter too - so that's what I did.

When I arrived, the lobby was chockablock with people queueing to collect tickets. A woman in the queue wasn't sure whether she had cut in in front of others, there was such confusion. She was most concerned about it too, despite our reassurances. Heavens, it was hardly a hanging offence anyway.. Annoyingly, this is the place where they never take your printed confirmation (which I always bring, if possible) - they also need your bank card. Fine, but a nuisance if you're in a rush.

I've sat in the rear stalls here before, and know that the whole place has decent legroom and a good view of the stage. Unfortunately, what you can't guarantee is whether there'll be a tall person in front of you. Which there was. I had a moment of hope, when he was threatening to separate his sons - who were sitting together, beside him - and sit between them, which would've meant that I had a small person in front of me instead. No such luck though.

There were a lot of families at this matinee. Which is good, because this was a great show for everyone, kids included. It also combined circus acrobatics, you see - and world class ones, at that. Even I, who have seen so many, was stunned at some of the stunts where they plunged downwards, stopping within inches of the floor. The Time Out review complained about them mixing what you might call "arty-farty" stuff with the circus moves. I disagree - I love a multi-layered approach, and I don't think it ever got too heavy.

The soundtrack was fantastic - I came out humming it. And there was a graceful beauty to the performances - truly, circus and dance combined. And there was plenty of humour, too - like when one guy ran into the audience, high-fiving people to celebrate his acrobatics. And picked up a kid and twirled her around on his way back. Just after the interval, though, one little girl on the opposite side to me threatened to scream the house down. Turned out she wanted her mummy. Well, the group must have been separated, because mummy turned out to be in my row. Luckily, she quietened right down when they were reunited.

It's an awful shame I can't recommend you go see it, because this run is now finished. But do catch it if you ever get the chance - it's the best thing I've seen in ages. We were happy to give them a standing ovation.

Afterwards, I was hungry, and knew some places on the Strand - well enough to know that they're overpriced. So I had a look at a map - they're conveniently placed on many central London streets - and realised I wasn't that far from Covent Garden! I knew there are many attractive eateries over there, so meandered over in that direction - it had stopped raining by now, although it was chilly. So it was that, in a short while, I happened upon the Cote bistro in Tavistock Street. Now, I love Cote, so it took precisely no time at all to decide to eat there. Indeed, as I discovered, they have a "pre-theatre" menu, available every day from 12 to 7 - as well as the a la carte. From the "pre-theatre" menu, I was exceedingly well fed - a thick, really good mushroom soup, a fabulously tasty minute steak with frites, and a dessert - the chocolate pot may look small, but they know what they're doing; the chocolate is so dark and rich that it should come in small quantities. It also comes covered in a layer of cream, to balance the rich taste. All of that cost.. £13.65. Had I only had two courses, I'd have paid just £11.70. A complimentary carafe of water is provided, and there's an optional service charge, which you'll be glad to pay - the service is among the best I've had - quick, efficient, and really friendly. (And I can recommend #3 on the white wine list - I was feeling so content that I had two glasses.)

One of my better days in London. :-)

Well, for tomorrow, it was to be a film, but I hadn't yet done this week's film list! Just haven't had time. Hence the lateness of this post - I've been doing it all night. At the end of all that.. there were two films at 9/10 (!) An Indian film (surprise, surprise) - Haider, an adaptation of Hamlet, set in Pakistan - and Pek Yakinda, a Turkish comedy. Now, Haider is showing a lot closer to me than Pek Yakinda, whose nearest showing to me is in Cineworld Wood Green, nearly an hour away!

However, I always found the character of Hamlet a bit irritating.. indecisive, y'know? And nothing I saw in the trailer for Haider convinced me otherwise! So off I go to Wood Green. The trailer for that film looked ok. Handier to make a long trip on a Sunday than a weekday. And hey, I finally get to use one of the "Sweet Sundays" Cineworld vouchers I got with codes from special packs of sweets! (Valid Sundays only.) Two months ago, I got that, and this is the first I've gotten around to using it. I'd have used my voucher to book online, but I see that, since the last time I went to Cineworld, they've introduced a booking fee. I shall have to see where best to buy Cineworld tickets in future - I get a discount on the website, but if that's offset by the booking fee, well.. For tomorrow, obviously, best is to get my ticket in the cinema. Also means that I don't have to get there for a set time, which is probably just as well, given the length of the journey and how late it is now..

Oh, and on Monday, I'm off to see Rigoletto, at the Royal Opera House. Unusually, considering that it's the home of the Royal Ballet, and I tend to see operas at the Coliseum, the home of the National Opera. Anyhoo, I could've seen Rigoletto a while ago, but the cheapest ticket available was over £163. Naw, not considering I've seen a production of it already. But when it turned out that I could get one for £50 for Monday, well, that was much better! I'm in the Amphitheatre (the top level) - but of all theatres, the Royal Opera House has made quite an effort to ensure its patrons' comfort, and although the stairs are steep, I do know there are railings everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment