Thursday 11 September 2014

Film: What If

So, last night I decided to go to the pictures, and when I trawled through that enormous film list of mine, I discovered that I could delete about 50 films from the top of the list, that weren't showing for the rest of the week! Not at times that suited, anyway.

This left me with.. What If. Now, I was a bit dubious about this. It's a rom-com with Daniel Radcliffe, and I remember him appearing on a talk show recently to promote it, and looking very, very awkward. But anyway, I said I'd go.

The nearest place showing it was the Odeon Kensington, so I had a vigorous walk there yesterday evening. Ah, it was nice to get out again - I haven't been out since Sunday! It's also a while since I've been up this way. The door to the self-service machine lobby was locked, it being past 9, so I entered the main foyer, and bought my ticket from a human. They might have improved their customer service, because it was no time before someone came to tear my ticket - v unusual for this venue. He mentioned that the standard seats were the first three rows, or the back row.

He could've saved some time by telling me to just not sit in the fourth row, which was the premier row - this screen only has five rows altogether! Anyhow, the third row was just fine. Interestingly, the trailers included one for Horns, a horror film to be released at Hallowe'en, also starring Daniel Radcliffe. Hmm - Harry Potter as the devil, following Harry Potter as the romantic hero. You don't think they might be trying a bit too hard to find a new niche for him?

Now, I came very close to walking out during the first scene - mainly because it features Daniel heavily, as you would expect - also because it seemed as though this was going to be ridden with rom-com cliches. Sorry Daniel, I just don't buy you as a leading man, I think. You're just too awkward. I know this character is supposed to be shy and retiring, but - does he have to be cringeworthy?

Daniel Radcliffe, for me, is lacking something - charisma, maybe. I didn't buy him as a romantic lead, and I groaned inwardly when he attempted comedy. Stiil n all, I'm glad I decided that one scene in was too early to make up my mind - because everything else about the film is rather good! It's got a cool soundtrack, I liked all the other characters - the female lead is cute and quirky, the guy who plays her cousin has a knack for comedy. Even the female lead's boyfriend, Daniel's love rival, is a likeable soul, but one whom you could learn to despise. The film even has an international element - it's set in Toronto (ooh, a film made in Canada that admits it was made in Canada! how rare) but the boyfriend conveniently gets a job transfer to Dublin, allowing Daniel and the girl to get closer. But then she goes to visit the boyfriend to try to rekindle their relationship, so we get that international bit. Oh, and Daniel's character is downplayed a bit. So I quite enjoyed most of the film.

Except the last scene, which has a bit more of Daniel in it again than I would've liked. Nah, I don't think he'll be winning me over any time soon. Hey-ho, good luck to him.

Well, I could go out tonight - or I could stay in and wash my hair, which is sounding more attractive. I'm back in Ireland for the weekend, and for Monday, it's looking like a film again. Luckily, the film list for next week is waay less - full - than this week's, so I've done it already, and after I reject a documentary about Donald Trump, I have a choice of three for Monday: Finding Fanny - an Indian rom-com, In Order of Disappearance - a Norwegian thriller, and One Night in Istanbul, a comedy about British soccer fans abroad.

And would you believe, in the few hours between checking those ratings and checking the links again to add here, the ratings for two of those three have shifted! Now that's fast.. Right then, it's looking like Finding Fanny for Monday. For the moment..

No comments:

Post a Comment