Monday 15 September 2014

Film: Pride

It's a funny thing about Indian film. I've mentioned before how so many Indian films are over-rated (in terms of IMDB ratings, anyhow), and someone seems to be listening to me. Because it's a long time now since I've been to an Indian film - and this is because of the ratings. Case in point: Finding Fanny, an Indian rom-com. When I looked up the rating on Thursday, it was at 7.8 - then shot up to 8.5! By Sunday, however, it was down to 6.8, and I see today it's down even further, to 6.6. Hardly likely to trouble me, then.

Considering the other films on my list, eliminating One Night In Istanbul - a soccer comedy: sorry, just not interested: a jump in ratings for Pride meant that was the highest on my list for tonight, so that's what I went to. Pity the ShowFilmFirst tickets to a free preview of this were sold out - as usual - by the time I got to them. Never mind - I did remember, despite it being a long time since I've been to a Vue cinema - that I had a voucher. So, not free,, but I did get a discount. Also, seeing as it was showing in my local Vue, I could combine my trip with one to the sorting office, to pick up a parcel.

It was a pleasant stroll, and I was in no hurry, for once, to get to the cinema, having come early to catch them at the sorting office. I got a replacement voucher at the till, and chose a seat that turned out to be in about the best spot. I fancied some Crunchie Rocks, despite the exorbitant price for what turned out to be a small quantity of chocolate. I was very early, and although I had been assured that the screen was open and I could go in, I think I startled the staff member who later came to clean it! Anyway, I enjoyed playing with my parcel while I waited for the film to start.

There weren't many at the screening - mind you, it was a Monday. The story is based on the real-life miners' strike of 1984, when Thatcher determined to close the mines and unilaterally destroy the livelihoods of entire communities. As she is shown to say during a tv interview, "One is not a softie". This film, in particular, concerns itself with the true story of a London lesbian/gay group that fundraises for a particular Welsh village of striking miners, feeling solidarity with them on the subject of police persecution.

Now, I read a review of this film that said it was terrific, apart from the failure of Bill Nighy and Imelda Staunton - who play committee members in this village - to master a Welsh accent. I can't say their accents were terrible - personally, I heard nothing wrong with them at all: although, of course, I'm not Welsh! What I did find was, indeed, a terrific film - warm, laugh-out-loud funny, with plenty of comic opportunities in the descent of openly gay Londoners on a small Welsh village. Never descending into caricature, the characters are warm and well developed, and the film is genuinely moving. Andrew Scott, who plays the voice of the Irish employee in Locke (a film with one character on-screen and many on the phone), here plays the owner of a gay bookshop in London, but originally from Wales, who helps the group in their quest. Paddy Considine is another Welsh committee member.

A really lovely film - go see. And oh! the eighties soundtrack is terrific. Really, music hasn't been the same since..

Tomorrow, I'm off to Eye of a Needle, showing at the Southwark Playhouse. It's a play - a comedy - about immigration, supposed to be good. You might recall me mentioning it last week - I'd have gone, but wasn't feeling the best that night. Again, I might have gone tonight, but found a Living Social deal for tickets at just over half price, valid from tomorrow night. Hence my scheduling! And on Wednesday, I'm going to try to make the Scoop in time to get a seat for Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom. (Weather permitting.) See, they show free films throughout September, and this is about the only one of them I haven't seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment