Monday 21 July 2014

Play: Invincible

I wasn't really in the mood for going out tonight, but had already booked Invincible at the St. James Theatre. Well, at least that's not too far away - so off I trotted. I didn't need to look up directions, nor how long it would take - I know the way well. The trip wasn't without incident, however - the platform indicator at West Brompton is out of order again, and I ended up just taking the next train and changing, as usual, at Earl's Court. The District Line being what it is, we stopped a couple of times before getting there, and the train I changed to had time to arrive, let passengers leave and more board, and move off, while the one I'd left was still standing at the platform. I still arrived at exactly the time I thought I would, and had time to use the rather snazzy toilet facilities at the theatre, for the first time.

I was in the front row, right around to the side, and was rather dubious about the legroom, especially as the seats either side of me were occupied. Well, the chatty, elderly gent to my left promised to move down if the seats were still unoccupied when the show started, but in the end the fellow on my other side, on the outside of the row, decided to move back to a row with a better view - we were at the level of the actors' lower legs, in the front row. Those seats were more expensive, but many were unoccupied. So, the upshot was that I had space to leave my stuff, and to sit sideways, so legroom wasn't too much of a problem. After the interval, the fellow on my other side did the same. So I spread out with great glee, on both sides!

The view was ok - yes, at most points, some actor or other's face was obscured, but it wasn't so much of a problem. And it's nice to be so close to the action. Indeed, when someone on stage dropped a glass at one point and it shattered (one of those that's meant to, I believe), bits ended up in my lap. Talk about feeling included..

Now, this is described on the poster as a "black comedy". I checked, on my way out, because I wasn't entirely sure what I'd just seen. It transferred from Richmond, which means it was a big hit. I can see why. It is very funny, no doubt about that. The characters are readily recognisable types, and there are a couple of topical themes - England's performance in the World Cup, and British soldiers serving in the Middle East. Thing is.. as I say, it's very funny. I laughed out loud at several points. The elderly chap beside me - more of a theatre buff, I think - seemed less impressed, but I do like to be entertained, and I was glad I came.

And then there's the last scene. It's undeniably dramatic, changing the whole mood of the play. And.. then the play ends! Er, did I miss something? Whatever logical explanation I can come up with for the abrupt change of direction, I have to conclude that it just didn't work. I think I get what the writer was getting at - challenging our preconceptions - but it's too extreme a shift in direction, and it doesn't gel. Still, a enjoyable evening - despite the disapproval of theatre buffs (this theatre seems to attract them!) and despite the exorbitant, £3 ice creams. Well, I was hungry - that's the problem with these early starts, no time to eat beforehand. On the way home, I treated myself to a meal at the Buckingham Balti. It's a while since I've been here, and I'm afraid their butter chicken has gone downhill - very bland. I won't be having it again. Still, the peshawari naan was delicious, and a good smell came from whatever the guy at the next table was having, so I won't be boycotting them completely!

The play runs until the 9th - not heavily subscribed, should be no problem getting a ticket.

Tomorrow, I've booked yet another play - Intimate Apparel, at the Park Theatre. It's one of those longer journeys, but what the hey. It was booked out on the official website, so I ended up getting a ticket on bestoftheatre.co.uk. Interestingly, I was looking for tickets to Richard III, with Martin Freeman, for Wednesday - it's getting good reviews - and thought I was in when I saw availability on uktheatretickets.co.uk. Booked it, and over lunch they contacted me to apologise, and explain that there was an error on their website, and they could offer availability from the 5th, if I wanted. I decided to cancel.. that's too far ahead to plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment