Thursday 31 July 2014

Opera: Cosi Fan Tutte

Last night's plans were changed when I ended up going for unanticipated birthday drinks. Well, I didn't have anything booked, and what I was planning on doing wasn't as attractive..

Then, Time Out delivered quite a shake-up for today. There I was, anticipating a film, and they throw up Cosi Fan Tutte, by the Pop-Up Opera. Ooh, lovely! I thought. ..in Dalston. Really..? Twice in one week? Cruel and unusual punishment! Not railing against Dalston, just against the amount of time it takes to get there, and more particularly, to get back, since by that time of night there are no more direct Clapham Junction trains, and I have to change at Willesden Junction - which generally involves a considerable wait. O well.

Now, the pop-up opera does what it says on the tin - they pop up in unusual venues, for one night only, perform an opera, and pop off again. So, tonight they were in a place called the Dalston Department Store - a deserted warehouse. Entry was by industrial lift. Ooh! Now, it wasn't selling out, but given that I didn't know what the story was with buying tickets on the door, it being a non-typical venue - and given that there was a countdown timer on the website, showing how long was left to buy tickets.. I thought, maybe I'd better book. So I did. Then researched how to get there and back - I discovered it's just past the Arcola, where I usually go in Dalston. For some reason, Google Maps was reluctant to let me come back by Overground - as was TFL - but I carefully checked the timetable and saw that I needed to make a train back by 10.55PM; the ticket said the show would finish at 10.30PM, so that should be fine. Checked my route on Streetview, and what time train I needed to get on the outbound journey, and I was off.

The train I got to Dalston Kingsland this time was a bit earlier than the one I got last - and it showed. The earlier time meant there were a lot more commuters, and the train was packed! On such a hot day, the journey was really unpleasant, and I was dripping in sweat by the time I got a seat, a few stops later. At that point, I could read my paper, where I came across a couple of interesting, theatre-related articles. The first highlighted how London is the theatre capital of the world; witness the figures. The second was a warning about a ticket website - Best of Theatre. Now, I'm sorry, but the people who wrote this article must be very naïve. I don't see a single thing that this website does differently from others. Yes, they sometimes charge more than face value - they all do that. Yes, they sometimes charge more than the official ticket site does - they all do that, too! As I ALWAYS say, shop around!! and ALWAYS check the official vendor. There have been several occasions when I've bought from the official site, because they did the best deal. In fact, I usually go with third-party vendors only when the official site is sold out - not for a better deal. You will rarely get a better deal than with the official vendors. Sometimes, not often.

It was a relief to get off the train and into a cool breeze. I turned right from the station, and proceeded down the road, past the snazzy hoarding, past Dalston Junction station and past a map that showed me I was headed in the right direction. Turned left when I got to the Haggerston pub, and followed the road. By now, there was a crowd in front of me, all of whom were headed the same way. We proceeded to the warehouse at the corner, where a long queue had formed - the lift, it transpires, only holds ten at a time, one of whom is the operator. I was glad I'd got my ticket in advance - so had everyone else, it seemed, and while I figured they'd probably have given me a ticket on the door, I was glad not to have to test my theory. I couldn't see a cash box.

The poor lady taking the tickets had fallen down the steps and injured her ankle - they'd put some ice in a plastic bag and tied it around the ankle, which was propped on a chair. They explained the story to everyone who came - which somewhat added to the delay. Hey-ho, people were asking. We crammed into the lift, which is quite snug when full, and the operator had to squeeze his arm through us to actually get to the controls to let us out! We stepped into a spacious basement, where there was a cloakroom just at the entrance, and further in, a bar to the side, at the back, then folding chairs facing the stage area. There was a piano to one side of the stage, a screen to the other, and a fan operated throughout the evening. Even so, it got a bit stuffy, and hand fans were much in evidence.

Seating was unallocated, and it was already half full when I arrived. I decided an aisle seat was the thing - easier to see. I later decided that an important consideration for this production is to see the screen, because that's where the surtitles are projected. The chairs weren't the most comfortable.. but I forgot all that as soon as the show started.

Because this company is truly fantastic! They are young opera singers, and boy can they sing. The great thing about non-traditional venues like this is that they come and sing amongst the audience, and - especially on the aisle - you can easily end up with one belting out an aria right beside your ear. Believe me, that's an experience. Other points about sitting on the aisle: 1. Keep your feet in, there's a lot of running up and down. 2. If you sit anywhere near the front, you are likely to be included in the show. In some small way - don't worry, no singing required!

Oh, and those surtitles? Well, let's just say they take some artistic licence. They give a gist of the show, in a very irreverent way. I mean, my Italian is rusty, but I don't think that Mozart mentioned Skype anywhere in the writing! Hilarious. A top-class show, for a bargain-basement (literally!) price: every scene was followed by raucous cheers and loud applause. It's only a pity I can't recommend you go see it, because it was one night only. But do check out their website for upcoming productions! BTW, although they started late, and the interval ran late, they still finished before the advertised time on the ticket - a relief for me, having such a long journey to make. And as I waited at the station, I noticed that Irish flag is still there, flapping in the breeze.

Well, it's back to Ireland tomorrow, for the weekend. For Monday, it's a film - and the film listings are as sparse for next week as for this week. There just isn't a lot out right now that's very good! So it's still looking like The Purge: Anarchy.. Oh, and unbelievably, I scored a ticket to Richard III on Tuesday! Courtesy of lovetheatre, and glad to get it! Premium seat too - Row C, of which I'm glad: I hear Rows A and B are liable to be splashed with blood..

No comments:

Post a Comment