Wednesday 2 July 2014

Film; La Vénus a la Fourrure (Venus in Fur)

La Vénus a la Fourrure (Venus in Fur) has slipped in IMDB ratings again, but peeked briefly above the rest today, long enough for me to see it and declare it the Chosen Film for today. For some reason, I'd recorded its showing time as 8.30, but when I (wisely) checked the cinema website, I saw it was on at 6.30, which meant I'd have to go straight from work.

So I headed off, in balmy sunshine, to Kensington Olympia to catch the Overground. It's directly across from the exhibition centre, where something major was obviously in swing - the place was packed. As I neared the entrance, I could see a sign for Imbibe Live - a trade fair for those involved in the drinks industry. Well, you could have gleaned what industry it was from the disgraceful condition of some of the nametag-wearing delegates, who were falling about the streets outside, one actually violent, and from the disgusting puddle of vomit I had to avoid on my way into the station. Respectable drinks-industry workers - avoid this event! I've complained to the venue, for all the good it'll do.

Anyway, I had a little wait for the Overground, and when it arrived, we all squashed in like sardines, of course. Thankfully, I was only going three stops, to Kensal Rise. Then it's a left turn from the station, and keep walking until you get there. Feels like forever, because all you can see are houses, but persevere - it's beside bus stop KB. (Actually, I was lucky I came out that exit - I discovered, when I went back, that the exit for the other platform is around the other side entirely, and you actually have to leave the station and re-enter it to get up the stairs and around to the exit I took, at the upper level. Which would have been confusing..)

To get into the Lexi, you push the wooden gate, which sticks a bit. It's quite a normal, non-cinematic-looking building - with a sign on the front that says "I am a Cinema - Love Me". Ahh. Programmes are available beside the front door, and when you go in, the ticket desk is to your right. You can also buy snacks there. It isn't hard to find your way after that - there's only one screen, which is through the next door. A large screen has a number of rows of seats arranged in front of it - leather armchairs in front, regular cinema seats behind. A couple of little round tables right in front, with nightlights flickering on them. Little crystal balls whose colours keep changing hang from the ceiling. Nice vibe to the place.

Just past the screen, there's a bar. You can't miss it - before the showing starts, the screen displays the message BAR, with an arrow. :-) There's only one table in there, but never fear - you can bring your purchases into the screen with you. I did. I wondered whether there was some special requirement for permission to sit in the leather armchairs, but no-one had said anything and there was no indication, so I just sat there. And no-one told me to leave. So that was fine!

Venus in Fur is a new Polanski film. Based on a play, it's set in a theatre, in the evening, where a disillusioned director has just finished holding auditions for the female lead of his new production of the novel, Venus in Furs, by Leopold von Sacher - Masoch. The term masochism is derived from his name. So you get an idea of what the book is about.. Anyway, this director is fed-up; none of the candidates so far meet his requirements for the role. And then, just as he's packing up and going home - in bursts a fiery woman who insists that she had an appointment although he can't find her name on the list, and persuades him into giving her a reading. Indeed, as the film progresses, she becomes the dominant participant, just like in the novel, and reality and fiction blur..

Well, I, for one, loved it! I am so glad I saw this, on the last evening this week it's showing. I found the beginning hilarious - the roles are spectacularly well cast. She's an unpredictable firebrand, and despite initially being in the position of power, he obviously is no match for her in the end. It does help if you're a bit open-minded - some of what transpires might shock those of a nervous disposition. Anyhoo, I can recommend it, to those who aren't offended by my description of it so far. And by the way, isn't it great that I got to two new cinemas this week?!

With nary a hope yet of getting an actual seat to see Skylight, I'm still on films for tomorrow. And what's coming up is Video Nasties: Draconian Days - a documentary about the rules that used to govern video productions. Showing tomorrow only in the Prince Charles cinema - it's a while since I've been there. Then, having cleared a good lot of my film list, it's back to Ireland for the weekend, and on Saturday we're off to Knee Deep, an acrobatics show at Glór in Ennis. Part of the street festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment