Sunday 15 June 2014

Film: The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)

Yes, readers of yesterday's blog - it was indeed raining today. Had it not been, the plan was to go to a free, outdoor screening of Chef, a new comedy about a top chef whose boss - Dustin Hoffman - fires him, and who starts a food truck instead. Scarlett Johansson is in it, as is Robert Downey Jr., who plays his ex-wife's other ex-husband. I see Scarlett's hair is still black. And the chef also directs. It's showing as part of the East End Film Festival.

And then it rained. Well, not immediately, mind - I was busy looking up how to get there earlier today. Google Maps said to take the Tube to Stratford and walk through the huge shopping centre, then through the Olympic Village. Unfortunately, none of this was on Streetview! and I haven't been that side of Stratford Station before. Fortunately, I noticed that the route took me past the local Holiday Inn.. and sure enough, they had some decent directions on their website, involving "turn left at such-and-such shop and take the escalator". That kind of thing. And I was just getting into the nitty-gritty of it when I noticed that it was raining.

And, indeed, the day wasn't that warm either, and it just wouldn't have been pleasant to sit outdoors for a couple of hours. So, Plan B kicked in, and I went to The Magnificent Ambersons, directed by Orson Welles, nicely restored and showing in the BFI. It wasn't booking heavily, so I saw no need to book a seat, and just headed into town when the time came. Mind you, it took me a bit longer than usual, what with no Tubes running through West Brompton this weekend - planned engineering works - so I had to walk to Earl's Court. Anyway, I arrived with minutes to spare, and settled into my plush seat. Love those BFI seats.. apologies to the lady at the end of the row, who took it most ungraciously that she should be disturbed at all for me to get in, despite the fact that the film hadn't started yet, and all she had to do was swing her legs sideways, there being no-one beside her! Before the screening started, someone made an announcement of apology that it was rather chilly - the aircon was broken. Can't say it bothered me - but then, I had to trot a bit to get there in time, and frankly, was glad to get my coat off..

Now, they always give out programmes before these things, but I hardly had time to read mine before the film started. I did know that it was directed, and the screenplay written, by Orson Welles. Turns out it was adapted from a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, and concerns the young scion of the Amberson dynasty, who has a high opinion of himself, but finds that none of what he considers his proper due is necessarily permanent. Anne Baxter plays his long-suffering girlfriend. Joseph Cotton plays her father, who has the temerity to court the poor little rich boy's widowed mother. And Orson Welles, never one to be left out, narrates.

'Twas a lovely thing to watch. There's always a kind of soothing quality to films that Orson Welles was involved in, I think - not sure how he managed that. Maybe it's the quality of his voice. Anyway. Most of the action takes place in the grand old Amberson house - there are some snowy scenes, involving sleigh rides, in the beginning of the story, which concerns the relentless march of progress, and laments the old ways. To some extent, we're colluding with the spoilt rich kid in that. But it is a classic, and a delightful way to pass a Sunday evening. Despite a generally good restoration, there is a small continuity break right near the start - I was glad I'd already seen the first five minutes on YouTube. And, in my opinion, Anne Baxter grins far too much - she seems to have little else to do. But I recommend it, to lovers of old films. It's showing again on Tuesday evening, if you're in town.

Coming back, I passed my third busker of the day. The first who showed himself to have any talent, he was playing a mournful classical air, and as I passed, I saw he only had 20p in his violin case. I stopped around the corner and dug out a £1 coin - I don't like to be fiddling with cash in front of them. And then I returned, and threw in my coin. He inclined his head in thanks. And just after I rounded the corner again, the air switched to a much jollier one. :-)

Tomorrow night's film is looking like a documentary, called 112 Weddings, about a pair of wedding photographers who decide to revisit the couples whose weddings they've photographed over all these years, and see how they're getting on! Showing in the Odeon Panton Street, but we'll see how I feel after dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment