Wednesday 4 June 2014

Film: Edge of Tomorrow

Edge of Tomorrow has been hovering on my film radar since its release, last Friday. But, since then, I've been otherwise engaged. Friday, I went to see Hard Façade, which I've had booked for a month. Naturally - wouldn't miss 'em, if I get the chance. Saturday, I got the chance to see the excellent Wolf Hall. Sunday, I did go to a film, but it was the higher rated Lakshmi, which, frankly, wasn't worth it - not in comparison, anyhow. Monday, I was in Guildford, and not up to anything by the time I got back. And I was planning to go see it yesterday, but I got a free ticket to Black Coffee.. and so it was that I waited until tonight to see Edge of Tomorrow!

There was no trouble getting a ticket, so I just sauntered along to my local cinema this evening - when I managed to drag myself off the couch, where I was very comfy indeed. The day hadn't been able to decide what to do with itself, but it decided to be beautifully sunny - if a bit cold - as I walked to the cinema. I was a bit late - and, of course, the usual long queues greeted me at the cinema tills. I'd get my ticket from the machines, except for the voucher scheme. I noticed one of the people behind the counter had donned what looked like devil's horns on her hairband - I realised, eventually, that it was a nod to the film Maleficent, in which Angelina Jolie wears them as the bad fairy. Actually, they' be great for Hallowe'en!

Finally - after only four minutes, it's easy to count when the time is prominently displayed on screens in plain view - it was my turn and I asked for a ticket to Edge of Tomorrow. When she asked where I wanted to sit - middle or back (does anyone ever ask for the front?) - I said "middle", knowing full well that whatever seat she gave me, I would take one in the row that opens onto the horizontal aisle, with all that legroom. I could've said that, but figured, given the number of free seats still available that was also displayed on those screens, there wouldn't be a rush. She took my voucher and said she'd give me another, but then couldn't find them - so she advised me to go ahead so I wouldn't miss my film, and to come back afterwards for it.

Indeed, although there were a number of people there, the cinema was far from full, and I had no trouble taking a seat in the row I wanted. The trailers were, uniformly, for films I'd rather go blind than see - crap-looking sci-fi, and 22 Jump Street - but it wasn't long before the film started. Right then! First impressions - o my goodness, we're back at D-Day! The enemy forces have conquered most of continental Europe. Brendan Gleeson is the incorrigible general leading the allied invasion, which is imminent, and scheduled to attack - surprise, surprise - via the beaches of northern France. Operations are being directed from London, Trafalgar Square is a helicopter landing pad (cue some gorgeous aerial shots), and Heathrow is a military camp. Gee guys, did anyone notice that the 70th anniversary of D-Day is imminent, I wonder? Hmm.

Only this time, the enemy forces are aliens. Enter our hero, Tom Cruise, who works in PR for the military. Never seen active service, and doesn't want to. Only Brendan Gleeson has this idea of having him giving live reports from the front. "Oh no," says Tom. In short, they argue, Brendan Gleeson has him arrested, he runs away, they catch him and knock him out with a high-tech stun gun, and the next thing he knows, he's in with the new recruits, and his master sergeant, a gleefully vindictive Bill Paxton, has been told he's a deserter who was impersonating an officer.

I read a review of this recently that praised Tom's comic acting, and they're right. You feel every moment of his confusion, his frustration, his fear, his disbelief that no-one will believe him when he explains who he is. Anyway, he ends up in the invasion force - it's a slaughter, the aliens knew they were coming (and very scary, fast-moving, many-legged things they are, too) - and it's not too much of a spoiler to say that he gets killed fairly quickly. But he kills the alien too, which lands on top of him and bleeds all over him, and he swallows some.

..which is how he comes to wake up in the military camp again, reliving the same day. (We discover the whys and wherefores - kind of - later on.) Anyway, same thing happens, roughly, and he dies again. And wakes up again. And again. And again. Anyway, he runs into Emily Blunt (now a blonde), who's a special forces officer, and realises what's happening to him, because it happened to her too. (She gets a clue when he starts predicting things.) She's very good at fighting aliens, and has earned herself the charming epithet of "Full Metal Bitch". So she teaches him to fight well enough to stay alive a bit longer, and off we go.

What this most reminded me of was a videogame. Any old videogame. Basic principle: you keep getting killed until you figure out how not to. So you turn left instead of right at some point, and you stay alive - for maybe another five minutes. And then you get killed again. And every time, you have to restart and go through a number of familiar steps. We see this for a while in the film, then they figure we'll get bored, and they fast-forward to the new bit each time. Really, it takes a lot of attempts.

The review I read complained about the unnecessary frisson between Tom and Emily, and they have a point - in particular, I didn't buy the ending, which was very pat - but, as he said, it's not too distracting. Indeed, Tom is at his most charming, and there is a chemistry between them. Actually though, for my money, I think there's more sheer enjoyment in Godzilla, if you're looking for something like this. Despite the non-existent acting in that. But it is a good film.

Of course, when I came out, the person who had said she'd give me another voucher was nowhere to be seen. The queues were as long as ever, everyone was busy, and I still have a spare, so I skipped it.

Tomorrow is looking like another film, and top of the list is Omar, a Middle Eastern love story, showing in the Odeon Covent Garden. Don't think I've ever been to that one. As usual, watch this space. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment