Monday 9 June 2014

Film: Downhill

There was a number of reasons why I mightn't have gone to see Downhill tonight. Firstly, with such a simple story - four middle-aged men trekking across the UK - I was sure it wouldn't hold its IMDB rating, which I thought unfeasibly high at 8.9. Very few films deserve that rating. Secondly, the arm of my glasses broke over the weekend and I was trying to get an appointment for an eye test so I could get a new pair - and I didn't want to go to the later showing. Thirdly, after a weekend of miserable weather in Ireland, it's terrific to get back to the heat of London, and the afternoon was glorious - too good to spend indoors if you didn't have to.

So, the odds were against Downhill. But, despite my reservations, its rating held. And I couldn't get an eye test appointment until Wednesday. And the evening was very overcast, although humid. So, into town I went - Downhill is only showing at the Empire in Leicester Square.

When I got there, I had serious doubts I'd be able to get in - turned out that a premiere was in progress. Turns out it was the premiere of NOW: In the Wings on a World Stage, a documentary about the touring production of Richard III, starring Kevin Spacey - who, apparently, was due to be in attendance. I keep just missing him! I see the play he's currently starring in - Clarence Darrow - doesn't run on Mondays. I actually had to ask the guy at the door whether it was possible to just go to the pictures!! Yes, just keep right.. Seems that time of day is popular for premieres at this cinema.

I decided I'd like an ice cream, and bought myself a chocolate Haagen Dazs. And while that transaction was taking place, I was well positioned to watch the poseurs in front of the cameras - having run the gamut outside the cinema, they were doing the same at the entrance to the screen. I didn't see anyone I recognised, and got myself away from the silliness. My showing was in Screen 6  - I've been here before, it's the small one at the top of a maze of stairs. Just avoid any door that says "Fire Exit".

The guy had given me a seat in the back row of the screen - i.e. the third. I entered.. and although it was 20 minutes before the scheduled start time, something was playing! I soon realised it was the film I had come to see. "What time did it start?!" I asked myself, taking a seat at the end of my row so as not to disturb the patrons already there. But it soon became apparent that it was near the end - this must still be the late afternoon showing. Now, it's a long time since I walked in at the end of the previous showing - very remiss of the staff to let me, I guess they were otherwise engaged. Certainly, before our screening started, a couple of staff members did come to check our tickets.

Thank God I go by IMDB ratings - otherwise, I'd never have considered this film. And I'd have missed something very, very good indeed. It's a very simple format - a young film student chooses, as his project, to make a documentary film about his dad, and three of his dad's mates, doing the Coast to Coast walk across the UK - left to right, rather than top to bottom (or vice versa). Much more manageable. That's all I knew before going in, but it does become apparent that these guys are too entertaining to be amateurs - their faces are vaguely familiar, although they're not very famous, but they are professional actors.

I'll say this though - Simon Pegg et al, makers of The World's End - THIS is what you were going for and missed utterly. That, too, was a film about a group of old schoolfriends, now middle-aged, trying to recapture their youth, and doing a pub crawl in the meantime. Mind you, that film also had an alien invasion. But what it really lacked was that sense of real camaraderie, which you get in this film, which comes across as so realistic that it comes as a shock to recognise faces, and also to discover, at the end, that there was an actual screenplay!

They're a riot, this four, three of whom are natural comedians, in different ways. There are the usual mishaps, the mid-life crises, the actresses they run into on the way.. and with it all, it's a great ad for the walk itself, which really exists, and takes in some stunning scenery. This film is a low-key stunner, and I feel very lucky to have seen it. Thumbs up!

When I came out, it seemed to have been raining - I must have timed it well. I felt like a Chinese - nothing in the fridge, plus Chinatown was right beside me - and I moseyed around until I came across the Feng Shui Inn. Now, I had a good meal here before, and it's an amazement that it hasn't occurred to me since - so I said I'd try it. They have some slightly unusual choices - although not as unusual as some nearby places - and I decided to try the lamb with honey sauce. It was lovely, served with a large quantity of onion - although I was probably in the mood for something spicier. Still, recommended. And I must commend them on their excellent wine - also, their 175ml glasses are much closer to 250 ml, making them much better value than a bottle or half bottle. Take note..

Tomorrow, so far, is looking like another film - there are other things on the horizon, now that summer is upon us, but they won't have started tomorrow - and, by IMDB ratings, the highest rated film showing tomorrow that I might consider is one I was considering last week - The Irish Pub, of all things: a documentary about what makes it world-famous. It's showing, appropriately enough, in a pub cinema - The Montpelier. Or I might not - if it's sunny. We'll see!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds a very enjoyable film alright, good review! The camaraderie between the four men sounds funny and amiable. I swear I have a pile of dvds waiting for me to watch, I usually go for rom-coms, but I love all the classics too and the big name directors add extra umpt, of course it is always good to be surprised with something unsuspected...It is always a treat to go to the cinema of course. We are going from a three screen in Rathmines, to an eight screen Omniplex, yeah, 3-d I believe, opening soon in time for the Summer....AM x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Cool.. you'll have more choice on your doorstep then!

      No films from me for the next few days.. wait for updates!

      Delete