Wednesday 14 May 2014

Film: Next Goal Wins

Ah, it's great to feel better again, after a bout of the flu! Not quite cured, but I have much more energy, and there was no problem going out tonight. Just as well I hadn't anything booked for the past two nights.. Anyway, the film at the top of my list for tonight - which I would have seen on either of the last two nights, had I been able - was Next Goal Wins. It's a football film, which I would never normally consider, but I'd seen the trailer and thought it looked good.

Well, along with my health, the weather took a turn for the better today, and it was gloriously sunny and warm. I thought about getting my new book from the Amazon locker and heading to the cemetery, but I knew I wouldn't have time to do that and eat before the film - and I was hungry when I got back from work and wanted to eat straightaway. And by the time I'd eaten, the cemetery was closed anyway, so that was that.

After a very pleasant stroll to the shopping centre where the cinema is located (my, it's good to be out and about!), I decided to head for the locker first - it's in the same complex. This was a new experience for me - I haven't used an Amazon locker before, but it was the only way to get free delivery without taking out a subscription to Amazon Prime, which I don't see the need for. I had received a confirmation email with instructions about where the locker was - at the blue wall leading to the car park beside the Sainsbury's. Well, I knew where the Sainsbury's was.. then saw the sign for the car park, and sure enough, just through that door was the locker. I input the code from the email - I'd printed it out to have the barcode as well, but I couldn't see the scanner - and after a pause of a couple of seconds to verify the code, I heard a twang to my left. Sure enough, a door had popped open and there was my package! Couldn't have been easier. A very handy means of collection, if there's one near you - especially for things too large to fit through a letterbox, if there won't be anyone home! The opening hours are much better than the post office..

Well, then the cinema was just upstairs. The person at the till asked me whether I had a voucher, which I didn't - they hadn't given me one last time - and then proceeded to not give me a voucher this time either! Dear me, have they run out of them? What do I have to do to get another? Anyway, I was assigned a seat, but the cinema was practically empty, so I just took one I liked the location of.

This is a documentary about the soccer team of American Samoa - officially worst in the world, after their 31-0 defeat to Australia in 2001. The film starts with some footage of that match, and praise for the goalkeeper, who, it was acknowledged, did a terrific job in the face of overwhelming odds. Frankly, he was a one-man team - he had no defenders to help keep the ball away from the goal. Afterwards, he retired from football and went to live in Seattle.

We get to see a lot of the island's culture, its warm-hearted people, and o my, what spectacular scenery! It'd make you want to book that South Sea holiday this very minute.. Anyway, back to the football. All this losing was getting to the locals, of course, and finally, they hired a Dutch coach to whip them into shape for the qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup. They didn't like all his strict coaching methods, though, and he was appalled at the low standard of football he found there. Still, they had heart, and did as they were told - and the moment when they score their first goal against another country (who must have got a shock!) is really moving. As it is when they win their first ever match.

I don't watch football, typically, and interestingly, during the week, I spoke to a couple of guys who are very keen on it but had no interest in watching a film about it. They'd rather be watching it for real. Ok, fair enough. Me, I still have no interest in football, but this is a moving film about overcoming obstacles - such as the fact that the team includes the world's first transgender player in an official match. She's interviewed a lot for the film, jokes about hiring a ballgown and getting some shoes for the premiere. Apparently they're a lot more accommodating of what they call "the third gender" in American Samoa, and it's lovely to see. Oh, and the team aren't officially the worst in the world any more! Play on, folks..

Tomorrow, there are drinks after work, but I should be able to make the next film on my list - the new production of Godzilla, which isn't on until 8.20. We'll see. Mind you, despite its high rating, it's been plummeting fast. Still rated far above the others on my list though. Should be fun, although I'm not seeing it in 3D - that gives me a headache. On Friday, I'm finally going to something non-film-related! I booked a ticket for the musical, The Pajama Game, at the Shaftesbury Theatre. NB: if booking tickets for this show, DO NOT book through the Time Out website, or their link to the theatre - http://www.shaftesburytheatre.com/. Oh, it's the correct site all right - but it has the most expensive tickets of any I tried. You should not be paying more than £45 for a good seat in the stalls for this show. It's interesting to note that the theatre does have two websites - the first I link to here has a booking link that puts you through to a cheap ticket vendor. The second link connects to a more modern website, with more expensive tickets. Caveat emptor! Anyway, after much humming and hawing, I chose a seat that seemed reasonable, with decent legroom and a good view - row E in the stalls. Should be close enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment