Friday 30 May 2014

Concert: Hard Facade

Sadly, I missed Hard Facade's last gig - I was in Ireland. Tonight's gig, I bought a ticket for at the same time as their gig last month. The ticket has been safely snuggled in my desk drawer ever since, and tonight it got its moment in the sun. Unfortunately, what with me going to Guildford next Monday, and needing my laptop, I had to take it home this evening. The last thing I wanted to do was lug it all the way to Brick Lane - so I decided to nip home with it after work.

Now, "nipping" home isn't exactly accurate - it takes about 20 minutes. And by the time I got there, with that blasted heavy bag, the last thing I wanted to do was "nip" back to the office, where the evening was starting with drinks. So I texted a couple of people to ask them to let me know when they were leaving. It was much more sensible to head from my local station, two minutes' walk away, where I could get a direct train to Aldgate East. I figured, if I left for the station at the same time they did, we'd all get to Aldgate East at about the same time.

Well, that was a great theory. Someone said he'd text me - fine. I did some things, I waited. Any minute, I thought. I nipped out to buy a bottle of wine, so I wouldn't be the only one not drinking. Finally I noticed the time - it was nearly 7, and we were supposed to eat before heading to the venue! And our lads were on at 8.30..! And it was in the East End, for goodness' sake!

I figured they'd forgotten about me, and already gone. So, miffed, I headed off myself. The train destination was Tower Hill, one stop short, but I decided to take it and change. After I got on, the destination was changed to Mansion House - shorter again. Never mind, I was headed in the right direction. And then.. as we were coming into Sloane Square, I got a text. "They haven't left the Warwick yet!" (That's the pub across from the office.) Ah, so I wasn't abandoned and forgotten. Well, that was something. I told them I'd wait at Aldgate East.

The driver urged us to disembark at Blackfriars if we were continuing past Mansion House, so I did. The train coming after us was more packed, but it was only a few more stops. When I finally reached Aldgate East, I wasn't sure which exit to take, but plumped for the closer one (towards the front of the train), which turned out to be correct. I eventually saw the sign for the exit for Brick Lane, and knew where I was. I texted the others to let me know when they arrived. Got a text back telling me they were in South Kensington - half an hour away - and we'd head straight to the venue, it being late. Food was no longer an option - not a proper meal, anyway.

Well, there was a KFC a couple of doors away, and it looked like the best option for a quick food fix - so I grabbed a bite there. I don't mind telling you, it was pretty bad - so far, the only really good KFC I've had in London was in Hammersmith, and I don't make a habit of eating there anymore, this was an emergency. But it filled a spot.

It must have been while I was in there that the others arrived, because they were on their way to Brick Lane by the time they called me. I caught up with them, and off we trotted. I haven't been here before, but I wouldn't mind coming back - its reputation as a curry centre seems well deserved, certainly from the sheer number of curry houses we passed. And many had representatives out front, imploring passers-by to come and sample their wares. "You don't know what you're missing!" One of our party found this a bit disturbing, but I've had worse, as a tourist abroad. Still, it was reminiscent of that. Someone else in our group was thrilled to see a restaurant with a banner associating itself with Masterchef! And.. then there was another, with a similar banner. And then there was one trumpeting that it was recommended by Tripadvisor. And over there was one she'd heard was good..

What a pity we couldn't try any of them, eh? Eventually, we met Nabeel, who's in the band, and we knew we were in the right spot. The Vibe is an interesting venue, and I'd love to come here again. You can't miss it, it's on the left as you come from the Tube station. Just turn up Osborn Street, which turns into Brick Lane, and keep going, till you come across a courtyard, with a railing facing the street. Which turned out to be full of street food vendors! Tarnation, I could've skipped KFC. Anyhow, we had some time to explore before our band was on.

There's an old building, where the bar itself is located. This is advertised by a neon sign by the door. Two doors - one for entry, one for exit - and someone at each to guide you the right way. The toilet was welcome, for me - and there's an attendant, with a tip saucer, who'll provide you with handwash, hairspray, bodyspray.. the red light is a bit disconcerting, though. The bar was crowded, and includes a tv projector screen.

Outside, there were three different food stalls, and quite a few wooden benches to eat at. The concert venue itself is accessed through a modern extension - go through the doors, into what was an overheated lobby, what with the glass roof panels. The venue is up a broad flight of stairs, at the top of which was seated a fellow with a cash box, who was taking note of which band we'd come to see, and marking our hands with ink for re-entry. Enter a sparse room, with a bar on the left, a stage on the right, and sofas dotted around the edges. There was only one barman, who was doing his best and not doing very well - I waited ages. Finally, I ordered a wine - this is the only bar I've been to where they automatically assumed I wanted a bottle! Then he unwrapped the special, wine-glass-shaped, plastic containers. Then he decided something was wrong with them, and gave me a regular plastic container instead. Oh, and don't bother with the pinot grigio here - it's insipid.

Our band had been tuning up while all this was going on, and duly began their set - with a ballad. I really like this song, but I'm not generally a fan of starting on a low note. But it soon picked up. It struck me, as I watched, and tried to clap while holding a flimsy plastic container of wine - which isn't easy, believe me - how much their stagecraft has improved. They're developing their own style now. They have some improvements to make - as one of our group remarked, having watched the other, more experienced bands this evening, Hard Façade has a terrific talent for songwriting - more so than the other bands - but could just do with some of their stage technique. The lead singer could project himself a little more, there could be a bit more coordination among the guitarists.

For me, as usual, I found Hard Façade to have something more interesting than the other bands - a more unconventional sound. I just keep having this feeling that the others can be boxed more easily. That unusual quality is a great thing! and, as I mentioned before, their stage technique is improving. I did get the impression tonight that the stage was a bit too cramped for them - and I can see them on a larger stage, I think they could do it justice.

I believe they're going to be concentrating on recording for a while. It's no bad thing to have something recorded, something people can take away with them. Neither is it a bad thing to get constructive criticism - it shows people are interested! and it shows that the band is worth taking the time to think about. We'll all be interested to see what they do next.

On a bum note, no sign of Valeria tonight, who's been so dedicated in taking photos at past gigs! Pity.. would've been great to see her again.

We stayed for the rest of the acts, the last act playing "one more", "one more", as the venue staff were trying to dismantle the set around them. The bar downstairs was open late, and we might have stayed later, but, well, the Tube isn't 24-hour just yet! Martin and I, who live on the same Tube line, took one that got us as far as Earl's Court, from which I walked, but he had to wait for another train. Hope it came eventually..!

You know, I'd better get to bed. Not only am I slightly exhausted, but I have a matinee tomorrow - Wolf Hall, at 2, and the District Line ain't running (scheduled engineering works). So it's a hike back to Earl's Court, Piccadilly Line to Holborn, walk from there. And I do not intend to miss it - considering how keen I am on the subject matter, and how hard it was to get a ticket for tomorrow. And, indeed, what a good seat I have! I'm also confident of a good performance, what with the Royal Shakespeare Company, with Jeremy Irons, handling it. On Sunday, seeing how fast the tickets are selling, I thought I'd better book one for myself, to see the European premiere of Lakshmi, a film about child trafficking, showing as the opening gala production of the London Asian Film Festival, at the Tricycle cinema. And on Monday, as I mentioned, that ferociously heavy laptop bag and I are going to Guildford..

No comments:

Post a Comment