Wednesday 9 April 2014

Film: The Wind

Well, tonight's film, The Wind, was, again, more than half sold out when I checked. So I booked. Only showing in the Electric Cinema, which bills itself as "the classiest cinema in London". In my experience, it's certainly the priciest, at £18.. but I said I'd give it a shot, for the experience.

It's in Notting Hill, and Google Maps suggested a Tube to Notting Hill Gate, and a 10-minute walk. So I carefully charted my walk - but it wasn't hard. It helped that I knew the cinema is on Portobello Road, and there was a "Portobello Road" exit from the station! Then take a right past Foxton's estate agents, left at the roundabout onto Kensington Park Road, past a funny little cabin in the middle of the road, right at Chepstow Villas, and left onto Portobello Road. Destination on the left. Sounds complicated, but easy when you know how! Having mapped it out on Google Maps, it was a lot quicker in real life. I should've stopped to check what the cabin was - can't seem to get any details now. There is a plaque on it, but it's not readable on Streetview. Anyway, I haven't been on Portobello Road before, and it's an interesting street, full of quirky shops that don't open in the evenings. Will have to visit some weekend.

The cinema is also quite quirky. Not having been before, and having booked a ticket, I was in doubt about what the most convenient method of presentation of my booking was. Should I print in advance, or would my payment card do? They had seemed to indicate that I should print, or show it on my smartphone. Well, my phone was at home charging, so I printed. I did also have my card. Sure enough, the handiest is to have something you can show to the ushers, and go straight in. So a printout is probably the easiest. Mind you, if you were at a loose end, the lady at the box office, on the left, did look bored. The screen (there's only one) is to the right, past an old-style sweet counter, where you can choose pick 'n' mix. As we entered, we were given feedback forms. OMG, it was another Birds Eye View festival showing! And there was I saying I wouldn't be to any more. I took one and went in.

Well now, I expected an experience. And I GOT ONE! The place is art deco - you get an idea from the photo on the website. But it's gorgeous! The you discover there's a bar / café on the right-hand wall. Ah, well now! When I told them at work I was coming here, someone told me the food was supposed to be great. They had a massive carrot cake, and a big plate of brownies, on the counter. So, in the interests of research, I had to have a brownie. Didn't I? Accompanied by a glass of wine. I was handed a menu. They have red and white wine in two categories, "house" and "good". Hmm. Given that a 175ml glass of "good" was £7, I decided to go with the "house" at £5.50. Or you could have a carafe, or a bottle. Or champers. The brownie was better value - £4, but massive. They have plastic forks, and napkins. And trays, if you buy too much to carry.

I headed for my seat. Yes, they have armchairs! The front and back row are comprised of sofas, which seat two (no discount, although the front row is sometimes cheaper). I had a quick look at the sofas - I think there's a separating cushion, probably removable. Anyway. Each armchair (or sofa) has a little, round table at either side. Very, very handy for putting down the stuff you just bought! About every second table has a little lamp on it. This leads to a decent separation between seats. The armchairs (and sofas) are of the most beautiful, soft, dark red leather, with soft, upholstered seats and backs. And - which I hadn't realised - every armchair has an ottoman in front of it. Which is just the right height, and at the right distance, for you to rest your legs on! (The sofas have double ottomans.) Between the ottomans are low shelves - perfect to but your bags on. My, they've thought of everything! When my mother heard all this, she thought I should've been charged more..

So, I put my brownie and wine on the table, and my other possessions on the shelf and ottoman in front, and sank into my armchair. And I did sink! This is far and away the most comfortable cinema seat I've ever had. And it occurred to me, as I perused the room from my comfy vantage point, that it reminded me of the depictions I've seen of 1930s nightclubs, with the little lamps on the tables, with fabric lampshades. You're quite low in the chair, but the screen is good and high, with an ornate gilt frame. It is just stunning! You could see the piano over the side, no sign of the pianist yet. The group of four to my left decided to make it an occasion and order champagne. And the one on the end, considering herself too separated from the rest, sat on an ottoman to talk to them until the film started. Some others ordered bottles of wine. It was the first time for a lot of people there - you could see lots of people taking photos.

Despite a scheduled start time of 7, we didn't get underway until about 7.25. Very relaxed, this festival. There was a short speech, and we were into it. The film, a silent film from 1928, stars Lillian Gish as a naïve young woman who moves to the prairie to live with her cousin. Unfortunately, she has a couple of problems. Firstly, her cousin's wife resents her presence and wants her out of there. Pronto. Secondly, she is driven mad by the constant wind that the area is plagued with - she was warned about that. (This is a metaphor for repressed desire. But anyway.)

What stands out about this film for me is Lillian Gish, who is absolutely radiant. It's no wonder that she remained famous throughout the ages - her doe-eyed innocence can switch with a change of expression. And I can only marvel at the constant wind they had to contend with during the production, and the driving sand. The wind machine must have been working overtime.. I must give special mention to the score, which was specially commissioned for this performance, and performed live by the composer. And worked marvellously with the film!

They had pens to spare, and I managed to fill out a feedback form as I was leaving, this time. I'd love to come here again, but with only one screen, I doubt it'll happen for a while. Ah well. But I heartily recommend this for a treat, if they should be showing something you're interested in!

So, tomorrow I'm off to see Hedda Gabler, at Fulham Palace. Which, shamefully, still has no advertising for it! What is it with these people? I had to email them for the booking link - http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/hedda-at-fulham-palace-apr-10-11-12-tickets-9521708687?aff=eorg. I haven't been here before, and must go charge my camera battery right now. 'Twill be interesting.. and then back to Ireland for the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cool, interesting film, in cool surroundings. The whole art-deco sounds beautiful it would be lovely to experience this alone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, looking forward to going back sometime!

      Delete