Wednesday 12 March 2014

The Hotel Plays

I've seen The Hotel Plays on Time Out's listings for ages now, with three shows a night and three matinees, when they are running them. But every single show time I clicked on was sold out. Until I clicked on tonight's last show, at 8! So, when I got my chance, I took it, and booked immediately - lucky to get a ticket, this being the final week.

They're playing at the Langham - a place I've never been. So I researched it. Victoria line to Oxford Circus, and a short walk up Regent Street. The Langham itself is a great block of a place, on the left as you head north, and across from a church. Ok, I thought, so I need to head up Regent Street, towards the church.

Well, as usual, I got a bit delayed, and left later than I would have wanted. Still, I was in ok time, and arrived in Oxford Circus at about 10 to 8. Looked all around, couldn't see the church. Guessed my direction, and off I went. After a few minutes, I realised I was heading down Oxford Street! Oh hell. Completely my own fault, if I'd checked the street name I'd have realised sooner. Anyway, I figured out I needed to retrace my steps to Oxford Circus, and hang a left. And off I galloped, desperate not to miss a show that had been so hard to book, and I wouldn't have another chance to see!

Finally, I was headed the right way. Found the church - which, unhelpfully, was not floodlit. Found the great bulk of the Langham, flags fluttering over the door and a doorman, complete with top hat and grey overcoat, helping people from their taxi. Scampered in the door and into the great, marbled lobby. Amazingly, I headed the right way, and found the box office, hidden in a corner, to which I staggered up and croaked that I was here for the plays, and what my name was. It was a couple of minutes past 8, but I said I'd give it a shot. "You're ok," she reassured me, "they've just gone up and they're probably still in the cloakroom." And she gave me a wristband instead of a ticket, and directed someone to take me upstairs, which he kindly did. Phew..

I was the last arrival, but with three shows running simultaneously, and groups not supposed to overlap, they have to time it right, and were running a few minutes late. I don't typically leave my coat at these things, but they were right to advise me to do so - it was boiling! And then our usher, Emma, took us up to the fourth floor. We could have taken the lift if we'd wanted, but no-one did. As we were waiting to be let into the first of three hotel rooms, for the first of three plays, she explained that the plays had been supposed to be on lower floors, but they moved them upstairs so as to disturb fewer guests, as the upper floors are less occupied in low season. She also confided in us that her American accent was put-on. "Do I sound American? They want it to sound as though you're in a grand old American hotel, but I'm a Scouser!" Smiley, chatty person, she was, and led us between each pair of rooms.

Each play was on a different floor - the 4th, 5th, and 6th, respectively. And each room in which the plays were staged was laid out with benches. We got everyone seated for the first play, but not for the later ones, possibly because they realised how cramped it was - there were 34 of us, I counted, and getting us all on the benches was snug indeed. Still, I got a seat every time, and was glad of it. And the heat! I would describe this as one of those overheated hotels - though maybe that was intentional, as the plays are set in New Orleans.

Well, with Tennessee Williams, you know you're onto a good thing. His plays are full of passion and fun. In The Hotel Plays, we get Pink Bedroom, Green Eyes, and Sunburst - we had them in that order, at least. And Charlie, the hotel porter who appears in a minor role in each, and outside the plays too, for a sense of continuity. In short, Pink Bedroom is beautifully done, with a terrific twist at the end! Green Eyes, a play about jealousy, as you might imagine, is powerful and passionate. Sunburst is quite unexpected. I always love to be so close to a performance, although as I say, we were a bit cramped. And they were kind enough to give us a chocolate on the way out! And my, but the cool night air was sweet.. the plays run until Saturday, but are now completely sold out. Still, if you ever get a chance, go check them out.

And tomorrow night will be Hard Façade (on the bill with others, but that's the one my workmates are in) at the Water Rats. And that'll be it for me, for the week - I'm off to Ireland on Friday, and taking a long weekend, not back until Tuesday evening.. and the merry-go-round starts again on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment