Wednesday 5 March 2014

Play: The One

With only standing tickets for The One last night, I said I'd better book a seat for tonight, since they were available. And so I did. Given the difficulties of getting to the Soho Theatre, I left in good time - it took me nearly 10 minutes longer than Google Maps said it should have, but I still got there in time. I mused, as I dodged people and moved as quickly as I could, that there's a difference between the crowds on Shaftesbury Avenue and those on Dean Street - on Shaftesbury Avenue, you get tourists, either lost or taking pictures; on Dean Street, you get crowds of people outside bars and clubs, because it's too crowded inside, or they're queueing to get in - so they take over the pavements and you have to take to the road and dodge the black cabs. Ah yes, a Wednesday night in Soho.

When I got in, I was directed to the stools at the side. Hmm. Well, anyway, there was a rail to lean on, so it was ok, and there was the odd seat if I had really objected. It was almost full - not completely, the cushion beside me was unoccupied (these were benches, rather than stools). And so we're into the play.

O dear. This is described as an "achingly funny" comedy. Or maybe an "uncomfortably funny" comedy. Well, "uncomfortable", I'll give it. I seriously cannot believe that this piece of self-indulgent tripe got an award of any kind. Basically, we spend an hour watching a couple tear strips off each other. O definitely, if you have a sadistic streak, this is the play for you. Otherwise, I cannot see the point of it. The comedy wasn't funny, the female lead had a distractingly deep voice, and spoke so quickly that, for the first ten minutes or so, I had no idea what she was saying, and when I did, I found it hard to take her or her words with any depth. Then her character turns into the most unlikeable bitch imaginable. He provides a kind of punching bag, that she attempts to turn into a creature as vicious as she is. There is a third character, who appears twice, and provides the function of showing us just how dysfunctional this couple is. Time Out describes the ending as "ambiguous" - I was just glad it ended. I didn't give a hootin' holler what happened to either of these characters, as long as I didn't have to see them ever again.

I'd have left at the interval, if there had been one. I bravely hoped it would improve. Ah well. If you should feel like an hour or so of misery, it's running until the 30th. Booking recommended - it's strangely popular. All I can say is, I've ticked it off my list. And to top off the evening, on my way back along Shaftesbury Avenue, I was detained by an Italian couple who wanted to know whether they were on Oxford Street. Well, no, I informed them, it's in that general direction.. but you know what? See that pillar thing sticking up over there? It's a map! Go look at that. No really, they're so helpful. Jeez, the amount of persuasion it took to get them to go over there and look at the map. And really, honestly, these maps are helpful! I've used them before myself, and it's very useful to have them at intervals all over town.

Uhh. Anyway, much more hopeful for tomorrow's entertainment. I got home this evening to an email from ShowFilmFirst, which I joined a while ago. I've seen some free films with them, but lately have been unlucky - by the time the emails get to me, the shows are already sold out. Well, this evening, they were offering free tickets to a classical violin recital! which is probably why they weren't sold out. Anyway, I got me one. And it's on tomorrow evening. Handy I hadn't anything booked - by booking tonight's show, I missed out on a free film screening I was offered when I went to the cinema on Monday night. Ah well. This is on in Cadogan Hall, which describes itself as "London's newest concert venue". It's also quite close to me. Great! Should be interesting..

No comments:

Post a Comment