Friday 21 March 2014

Dance: Shadowland

I do like to get to a dance performance when I have a chance, so had no problems with booking Shadowland when it came up in the Time Out listings. As with last night, there had been ticket offers, but I'd missed them! and the best remaining deals were with the venue website. So I booked the cheapest ticket I could with them, which was in the rear stalls.

When I checked Google Maps about how to get to the Peacock Theatre, where the show was on, I was confused, as they suggested the Tube instead of buses. Of course I was confused; when I went to a Sadlers Wells production last, it wasn't in this theatre, but the Lilian Baylis. Which is most easily reached by bus. Not the same place at all!

After the trouble I had getting to the Langham, which was my last unfamiliar destination, I was apprehensive. I needn't have been - the Peacock is really easy. The first time I checked Google Maps, they sent me via the District Line to Temple - later, they changed their mind and sent me via the Piccadilly Line to Holborn, which is the way I ended up going.

Holborn must, I mused, have one of the longest Tube escalators. I had time to muse about this, because the escalator to the exit takes some minutes, if you just stand instead of walking, to get from one level to the next. I was a bit nervous about how long it would take me to get to the theatre - again, I needn't have bothered. There are only two exits, one of which is for Kingsway, which I knew I wanted. So I left the station, compared the view with what I'd seen on Google Maps Streetview, and headed left. Continued towards Portugal Street. Long before I got there, though, I could see the theatre sign, and as I approached, there were plenty of direction signs. By the time I got there, it had taken me just over five minutes from the station - rather better than Google Maps' estimate of 11!

The stalls are downstairs from the lobby, and as I headed down, the 1-minute announcement was made. I found my seat without trouble, and sank gratefully into what is comfortable upholstery. There are no bad seats here, by the way - feel free to get the cheapest ticket you can! Probably no need to book, mind - it was far from full when I was there tonight.

As we came in, the preview screens made it seem as though there were already dancers on stage. Actually, they're just costumes, hanging from the ceiling. The first of many illusions in this show. Which is.. absolutely charming! In short, the main character is a little girl who has a dream about a fantastical world. Which is realised with live dancers, but mostly through shadows projected onto screens. And you'd never believe what they can do with shadows.. the show lasts just under 1.5 hours, without interval. Suitable for all the family, and I do recommend it for all. Oh, and don't run off as they start to take their bows - they have more surprises for you! Runs until the 30th.

I just found out today that Hard Façade is playing at the Iron Horse (also known as the Metro) in Sidcup tomorrow evening. So I think I may go to that..

No comments:

Post a Comment