Monday 10 February 2014

Play: Punishment without Revenge

When I saw the photos for Punishment without Revenge, I was hooked. I'm a sucker for pieces in Renaissance garb, such as this. So there was really no question of not going to it. Google Maps reminded me that the handiest way to get to the Arcola - which is right the other side of London, and which I haven't been in a while - is by Overground; I could get a direct train from West Brompton to Dalston Kingsland, just up the road from the theatre. They were less confident that this was the handiest route back, and wanted to direct me via the centre, and to go by Tube - but that would be more expensive, so I decided to return the same way. I did make sure to check the timetables - the Overground is notorious for having awkward ones.

It was going to take 47 minutes, so I had to leave quite early. The last train they said would get me there in time was to pass through West Brompton at 6.37. The one before was at 6.20, which I would have liked to have got, but had to Skype my mother first. I made it in good time for the 6.37, which arrived at 6.39, as we were shivering on the platform. Tonight, as usual, was bitterly cold.

The train was packed, but I got a seat at the very next stop - conveniently, as there were 15 more to go! I'd picked up a Standard before leaving, and that occupied me for most of the journey - that, and people-watching. But I started to get worried that I wouldn't make it in time - with so many people, we were delayed at every stop, with dozens of people getting on and off. People were so crammed in at different parts of the train that the driver kept having to ask them to please not all get on at the same set of doors.. to please move along the carriages.. at one point, he pleaded, "Please - and we can all get home faster and watch Emmerdale!"

We arrived in Dalston Kingsland at 7.25 - five minutes to showtime. I knew my way, from Google Maps Streetview, and knew it wasn't far. I also knew to still look for the blue hoardings to guide me - the same hoardings that are on Streetview, and that have been there every time I've visited! A handy landmark. I dashed in the theatre door, and to the box office. Asked whether I could buy a ticket, and handed her my card. She grimaced. "You don't have cash?" "If I had, I'd give it to you.." The card machine was broken, so she had to make an online booking for me - I got it when I checked my email, later. I had to tell her my address, while all the time she was getting increasingly more irate messages on the walkie-talkie from the lady at the auditorium entrance, who wanted to know if I was coming, because they really had to start. (And I bet the woman who left a ticket for her husband, who was trying to find parking - and he himself - were worried about being late! They got in before I did.) I was still settling myself, gratefully, when the show started.

So, this was written by a chap called Lope de Vega in 1631. It's part of the Arcola's Spanish Golden Age season, which ends this week. Now, it's not Shakespeare, but it is a witty and engaging play about the illegitimate son, and heir, of the Duke of Ferrara (and isn't it funny how this Spaniard, like Shakespeare, felt compelled to write about Italians?), who falls for his father's young and beautiful new bride. Things turn very dark in the second act..

This is a translation to English of a nearly 400-year-old text, and it has a few slightly clunky moments. But only very few. There are some very funny moments, and a terrific ending. Personally, I was continually distracted by the gorgeous costumes, particularly the ladies'. Full-length period gowns, veils, gorgeous costume jewellery. A very minimalist set, just a ducal throne really. I had a great time. Recommended, but only runs until Friday.

And tomorrow, I'm off to see 1980, a dance piece by Pina Bausch, at Sadler's Wells, which will involve some fun getting home, with the tube strike back on. Especially since it's a 3.5-hour show! At least two buses, it's looking like..

No comments:

Post a Comment