Tuesday 25 February 2014

Film: Spite Marriage

I dropped a lot in terms of IMDB ratings today - Spite Marriage is only rated at 7.2! But that was the highest rated showing today that I hadn't seen, and might be interested in seeing. So I had booked a ticket - the last of the cheap Tuesday tickets - and was heading for the British Film Institute for 6.30.

Unfortunate, then, that it had to be this evening that a work meeting was arranged for last thing! Anyway, the boss was obligingly conscious of the time, and we still finished in time for me to get there. I rushed to West Kensington Station, and headed downstairs onto the platform, glad, as usual, that the train wasn't arriving as I was coming down. What was there was a girl, who squealed, just as I arrived on the platform, "Ooh! A mouse! A baby mouse!" I must testify that I did not see said mouse, but have seen others in my travels. I'm happy she was happy.

We arrived at Earl's Court in tandem with another train, across the platform, heading in the same direction. An obliging announcer advised us that the next train to leave would be the one going to Barking from Platform 2. After a moment's consideration that yes, that was the other platform, a number of us legged it across. Surprising that not everyone  - at least those standing - did, really - I have known severe delays at this station. Well, up to them. (I suppose the fact that it is ALWAYS the other train that leaves first would be an example of Murphy's Law.) Another plus was that I got a seat on this one.

And so I emerged at Embankment, and up the steps to the bridge. Interesting thing happened. As you leave the station towards the bridge, there are a few steps down to the street, then a lot of steps up to the bridge. I happened to be behind a lady who seemed, as we left the station, to be deliberately holding the rail. She seemed quite young. Then, when we were about halfway up the steps to the bridge, her pace slowed. I noticed her quite deliberately planting both feet on each step. And I thought - wow, someone just like me! Fear of stairs. Don't mock, it can be terrifying. That's quite a long flight of stairs, and there are gaps between the steps, through which you can see. That's not easy - it's just that I've  gotten used to it. Kudos to her, she made it up eventually, and I was happy to hang back and give her the space to do so.

Made the cinema just in time, and took my seat. The place wasn't near full - even the sold-out cheap seats! This was Buster Keaton's last silent film - they've been showing a lot of his films lately. And they had a fellow over the side to provide live musical accompaniment.

Essentially, the plot has Buster worshipping an actress, who suddenly proposes to him. What he doesn't realise is she's only doing it out of spite because her boyfriend dumped her. The scene of their wedding night, where she passes out from drink and he's trying to get her into bed, is comic legend, and was recreated in Roman Holiday, with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. Some comic chaos ensues, and there are some moments that will always tickle the funny bone.

Tomorrow, it's looking like a documentary - Plot for Peace, about South Africa. It deals with the behind-the-scenes moves that pre-empted the fall of apartheid. Thing is, it's running only at the Curzon Soho, with a panel discussion. One night only. It's still not showing any signs of booking out, but from experience, I know there tend to be last-minute runs for these things, so I'll probably book tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment