Saturday 22 February 2014

Film: Highway

With my theatrical options limited, it was to be a film again today, and an Indian film, Highway, came top of the list, going by IMDB ratings. The closest place showing it is the Vue Shepherds Bush, to which it's a quick hop on the Overground. It has four showings a day, so it just depended on when I was ready. The first was too early, but I figured that I'd be up in time for the second.

Then it occurred to me to check for planned engineering works, which take place every weekend. I looked at the map of disruptions on the TFL website, for a quick overview. O no! The Overground line from Clapham Junction to Willesden Junction, running through Shepherds Bush, was listed! I thought to read the detailed information.. phew! Turns out the whole thing is closed tomorrow, but today, only closed north of Shepherds Bush, which was as far as I needed to go. :-) It's as though they tailored it to me..

Knowing that Overground trains only tend to run every 15 minutes, I knew to leave in plenty of time for the station, despite the train journey itself only being five minutes long - I hadn't checked the timetable. As luck would have it, my train pulled in as I was coming down the steps to the platform, and I was in Shepherds Bush in no time. You can see the cinema as you leave the station, it's just across the road. The film was showing in screen 1, and I chose a seat with the aisle in front, so I'd have as much legroom as I needed. The screen was practically empty.

Now, this film is a rarity. No offence intended to the Indian nation, but I'm not used to Indian films being as good as their IMDB rating. I guess they're a tad over-enthusiastic about rating them - or maybe I'm missing something. This, however, is terrific. Although mind you, I know I'm biased - it's largely set in the foothills of the Himalayas, and I'm crazy about mountains, the higher the better. They don't get higher than these. It was, indeed, filmed in northern India.

So, the story is a simple one. A young girl from a rich family in Delhi is about to get married, but honestly, all the lavish preparations are stifling her. Desperate for escape, she arranges for her fiancé to meet her for a clandestine, night-time drive. He's upset that they don't have bodyguards, but she is adamant. Anyway, stopping at a petrol station, they stumble upon a robbery, and she is taken hostage. The kidnappers spirit her away. She starts off scared, trying to escape however she can - but then something odd happens, and she finds herself not wanting to be rescued. All of a sudden, she has the freedom she craves, and finds herself warming to her silent, surly kidnapper..

I loved it. It's a romance, and rather sweet, and you've got all that stunning scenery to occupy you. And it's very well done. Nothing at all twee about this, the acting is great - you can believe the transition in her. And he is also rather good to look at. I can think of worse ways to spend a Saturday afternoon!

Went to Nando's afterwards, and availed of the free 1/4 chicken I'd earned on my rewards card. And a slice of their most delectable choc-a-lot cake, with the money I'd saved. Really, they do the best around! And someone who sat next to me as I was leaving asked me whether that was what I had had, and whether it was good, as she was thinking about it herself. And I told her it was.

Curiously, the guy who'd sat there before her had had two plates of food before him. He ate one, and asked for a bag for the rest. I guess he was stood up..! He did look quite glum.

And now I'm writing this in the dark, because something's happened to the lights, although not the electricity in general. Probably a fuse, but we don't know where to look, and neither does the letting agent. The landlord is supposed to be paying a visit, but at this stage I'm not sure when. What the hey! Plenty of light from the laptop.

Tomorrow's film is looking like A World Not Ours, a documentary detailing three generations of a family living in a Palestinian refugee camp in Lebanon. Showing in the Institute of Contemporary Arts. Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment