Wednesday 22 January 2014

Play: The Day Shall Declare It

Well, it was awkward this evening, with The Day Shall Declare It being on at 7, in Marylebone. It was quite a dash - Google Maps had suggested that the fastest way would be to take the Overground to Shepherd's Bush and a Tube from there, but said that taking the Tube all the way would only take a few minutes more. Since both my local station, West Brompton, and Shepherd's Bush are in the same travel zone, it would cost the same to go by Tube from either, but if I took the Overground as well, I'd have to pay extra. So, Tube all the way. And I made the Tube with literally one minute to spare! At least the platform indicator was working this evening..

Long pauses at Earl's Court and Paddington worried me, given that time was tight and I hadn't been to this venue before, so had to allow for getting lost. I had to change at Edgeware Road, and was delighted when the train pulled in just as I arrived on the platform. And then it was held, because it was ahead of schedule! At least it was only one more stop to Baker Street, where my walk would begin. Beautiful old station - it's only the second time that I've been there, and it's full of wood panelling, tiled floors and ceilings..

So, I made my way out of the station, past a large statue of Sherlock Holmes. I had carefully studied Google Maps Streetview, and managed to find the street I needed. Trotting down it, I passed the Sherlock Holmes Hotel. Oh, for goodness' sake. Enough already. Anyway, I turned onto Paddington Street, where I noted a couple of Indian restaurants across the road - I knew the play would only last an hour, and I hadn't had time to eat. And in short order, I reached my destination, which, helpfully, had a sign in front of it, advertising the play.

I had booked because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get a ticket on the spot, but I think I might have been able to - I think I noticed a cash box. Anyway, most people had booked, and they had a list of our names. I knew it was on the fourth floor, but it was a nice surprise to be told that there was a bar on the second floor, where we should wait until the play started. So, that broke the climb. The bar was a very inventive space! The entire building is unused, this theatre group just moved in and used what they needed - so the bar consists of a counter at one end of the room (with a helpful sign over it saying "BAR" and a limited drinks list, written on a blackboard), some tables and chairs, some lights, and a table at the other end of the room where they have set up a cloakroom for you to leave anything you don't want to be carrying for the next hour. Although they recommended we keep our coats on - I don't know that there's heating in this building.

Well, despite my rush, it was nearly half an hour before we were called. Someone enquired about the delay, and was told that it was because Tubes were delayed. I think they were waiting for all the people on the list to arrive - which would be a good reason to book.. Finally, we were told to go up, but that we couldn't take our drinks.

For this production, they use four rooms, two of which are sparsely decorated. The first is decorated like a dance hall, with paper chains on the ceilings and loud jazz, but no furniture. This was my only quibble with the performance - the music in this room was too loud to hear some of the dialogue. The play itself forms a loose narrative, and is compiled from some unknown works of Tennessee Williams. In this first scene, we see a young couple meet on the dancefloor. We also see the first of the evening's audience interaction, which is never too intrusive, but the actors do engage with audience members..

We were then led gently through to another room, decorated as a down-at-heel apartment. The couple have now been together long enough to have a child, but are feeling stifled by poverty and domesticity. Tennessee Williams' dialogue sparkles here, as always, and this scene is dominated by a powerful dance sequence, woven through the dialogue. This room is notable for being the one where audience members have to do the most dodging of actors, who are tearing about the room. Watch your backs, folks..

The third room is a drawing room, with a wall full of clocks, a fireplace, a couple of armchairs, a games table, bookshelves. More dialogues, more dance. Finally, we are led through to the fourth room - bare except for a bathtub and some glass jars with sand in them. Quite a dreamy sequence in this room.

I love immersive theatre, and this is a beautiful example. The dialogue is predictably great, the dancing is inventive, the scene switches are fantastic, in how they convey us from room to room. You could not get closer to the action! Highly recommended. Runs until the 1st. Do give it a look, if you want more than just a show - this is an experience.

Dropped by the toilet on the way out - they were very short of toilet paper, and there was nothing to dry your hands. Otherwise ok, despite only having one working cubicle. Of the two Indian restaurants on my way back, I chose Bombay Spice, and had a very good meal, with a couple of what sounded like Scottish doctors at the next table, and some Americans at the table at the back. I love that about London - you never know who'll be sharing a room with you. Oh, and it was some relief to sit, after having stood through the play, let me tell you!

So, tomorrow I'm off to a more conventional show, where I get to sit, and it's a little easier to get to. Putting It Together, a Stephen Sondheim revue, at the St James Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment