Thursday 23 January 2014

Musical: Putting It Together

Tonight took me to the St James Theatre, just down from Victoria. So, a direct Tube. I see the platform indicator at West Brompton is broken again - with time tight, I just hopped the first train that came and changed at Earls Court, which has more connections.

There were delays, and some unscheduled stops, but that was nothing to the Victoria Line, as we heard on the announcements. Apparently, a large chunk of it was closed in both directions, due to a "flood" in the signal room at Victoria. Imagine my surprise, just now, to discover that the flood was of fast-setting cement..! You couldn't make it up. That section of the line has been closed for six hours now..

As I exited Victoria station, I was greeted by a giant cat photo:


I swear, as you climb the stairs, it's staring right at you.. and it doesn't look best pleased..

Anyway, in no time I was at the theatre, joined the throng at the box office and collected my ticket. As I mentioned before, I got an aisle seat, but not in the back row, as I normally do, where it's cheaper. Sure enough, tonight was a sell-out. I am always glad to get an aisle seat, with my bad knees - as the girl beside me remarked to her companion, it's not so much the legroom, it's the fact that you have nowhere to put your feet - unlike some places, where they fit under the seat in front - so they, of necessity, take up some of the space, leaving less for your legs.

The show was the West End debut of Putting It Together, a revue of Stephen Sondheim songs. So, we have a stage, with a chaise longue and a chandelier, and a chamber orchestra at the back. And we have five performers - two women, three men - of fine voice. And the show throws together a whole heap of Stephen Sondheim show-stoppers. In short, if you like show tunes, you are guaranteed to like this. The standing ovation was well deserved. If you don't like show tunes, stay away. The only quibble I have is that there are so many terrific numbers, one after the other, that they blend into each other somewhat. But I loved it, and left the theatre with.. something.. running through my head. I just don't know which song it was! Runs until the 1st - booking essential, I would say, and probably cheapest through the venue website.

As I walked back to the station, I was asked for directions by, of all people, a cab driver. He was working for Kabbee. Really, he should get a satnav like most of them - or at least an A-Z! Next thing I have booked is on Saturday - a guided tour of St. Pancras Hotel. Bookable only through Time Out, there are three a day - I chose the 12.30. Must remember to take my camera..

No comments:

Post a Comment