Tuesday 3 December 2013

Films: The Devil's Ballroom & North of the Sun

I headed to the Riverside Studios, Hammersmith tonight, for a double bill showing as part of the Nordic Film Festival - The Devil's Ballroom and Nordfor Sola (North of the Sun). They're both Norwegian shorts.

I left work a bit later than intended - had meant to go home first, but realised I realistically wouldn't have time. So I decided to go straight to Hammersmith, but forgot I could reasonably have walked it, and took the Tube instead. Still, that did get me there early enough to take advantage of their 10% discount voucher on the first drink purchased in their bar, when you buy a double-bill ticket. BTW, I was a bit phased by the huge queue on the way in, but apparently they were queueing for a tv recording. They have quite a few there, and the guy selling me my ticket explained that they have nowhere inside for them to wait. About time, then, that they got that new development that's been proposed!

So I gulped my drink and panted my way upstairs (it's a long way, and it's been a while). Goodness, that's two days in a row of panting - I am getting my exercise! As it was, they started a bit late. The Devil's Ballroom is a cute little film, only fifteen minutes long, about an elderly explorer heading for the North Pole. It has a concise story, but I can't really give anything more away without giving too much, so I won't. Suffice to say that the snowy wastes sent an icy chill through me.

Nordfor Sola is an interesting film (and the picture on the Nordic Film Festival website is a still from it). It's the story of two young Norwegian men, keen surfers, who find a gorgeous deserted beach in the Lofotens, north of the Arctic Circle, and decide to spend the winter there. And surf. There really is no accounting for taste.. Mind you, I cannot fault the scenery, which is breathtaking. This is a part of the world I've always wanted to visit.

And these guys truly are amazing - they took all the footage themselves (except for a couple of shots they can't have, but a couple of other people make brief appearances and I guess it could have been one of them). Some of the most stunning shots are taken while paragliding. They built their own cabin out of rubbish they found on the shore - we could all learn survival skills from these guys! Driftwood hammered together, plastic bottles for insulation - they even built their own wood-burning stove out of an old oil drum! They did make the odd trip into town for provisions - they weren't completely cut off, although it was a hefty hike over the mountains. When there, they chose food whose expiry date had passed, which was therefore free. In all, they spent three months there, and surfed when there was enough light. And I have absolutely no desire to do the same, but kudos! One of the most amazing survival films you're likely to see. And they also go snowboarding, BTW - as off-piste as you're likely to find.

Tomorrow is looking like another film so far, and top of my list is Le Mépris, directed by Jean-Luc Godard, starring Brigitte Bardot and Jack Palance. Often on the lists, it's currently showing in the Barbican, if I can be bothered dragging myself all the way across town for it.. we'll see.  For Thursday, I've booked to see Saving Mr. Banks, at the local Cineworld, because they do give a discount for booking..

No comments:

Post a Comment