Friday 6 December 2013

Film: Fanny

So, I went to see Fanny tonight. Silly me, I got confused, with everything that's on. It wasn't in the Ciné Lumiere, it's in the Odeon Panton Street. As I discovered today when I checked. Thought I could use my Odeon points at last - I won't be going there so much now that my local is a Cineworld - but it turned out I didn't have quite enough, since prices are more expensive there. Nuts! Ah well.

I walked into an empty cinema. It stayed empty until right before the film started, when a couple of Spanish ladies came in. Not a popular film then, and I predict it won't be there next week. Well, I'm not surprised - I only heard of Daniel Auteuil when I saw him in a couple of films previously, neither of which were big releases. He might be a big deal in France, but certainly not here. And the fact that he writes, directs, and stars in this will mean nothing to most people.

It's a shame, because this is actually a lovely film. Apparently, it's the second in the Marseille trilogy, based on the writings of Marcel Pagnol, who also wrote Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources, both of which starred Daniel Auteuil in the film versions. Based in Marseille in the 20s, it tells the story of César, a bar-owner, his son, Marius, and Marius' girlfriend, Fanny. The first in the trilogy, Marius, is currently showing at four cinemas in the city centre. The third, César, is still in production.

Now, it's no masterpiece. But it is simple, charming, and engaging. The story tells how Fanny is distraught that Marius has chosen a life at sea over her, and feels unwell, so she goes to the doctor, only to discover that she's pregnant. With Marius due to be gone for five years, she can see no way out but to marry César's old friend, who has always wanted to marry her and can now provide her and the baby with the security they need. But she will always love Marius, and the final scene is unexpectedly devastating. Creeps up on you, this film. And she's brilliant in it. Shame more people won't see it, because I think a lot of people would enjoy it.

And tomorrow is looking like another film. Currently top of the list is Breathless, another Jean-Luc Godard film - a 1960 thriller. Screens tomorrow afternoon in the Prince Charles Cinema, off Leicester Square. I like this cinema - it's very cheap for the area (about half what I paid this evening..!), it's quirky, with things like pyjama parties, all-nighters, and beer and pizza nights, it shows unusual and old films, and it has very comfortable seats. I just don't trust its ATMs. And I hear there's often a Winter market in Leicester Square - must have a look.

For Sunday and Monday, I've booked plays, for a change! Sunday will be The Night before Christmas, at Soho Theatre. Seasonal it may be, but traditional it ain't. In this version, an elf is caught breaking into a warehouse, and interrogated about Santa Claus. A very different tale from what we're used to, indeed! Interestingly, the price they quote on the website is £5 more than what they actually charge at the checkouts..

On Monday, I'm supposed to be going to see The Royal Shakespeare Company's new production of Richard II, starring David Tennant, who apparently plays a blinder. It's at the Barbican (I dunno, I don't go for ages, and then I go twice in a few days..!) Thing is, the Barbican website didn't have any tickets left, and the cheapest I could find was a seat in the nosebleeds (should be ok at the Barbican though, it's a good modern venue) with Viagogo. I've never booked with them before, and it seems I have to have the ticket delivered to me and sign for it, I can't just pick it up at the venue. At least they guarantee I don't have to pay if they don't get the ticket to me in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment